Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Thick Sheet Template

Posted by bbriggstkd 
Prusa Thick Sheet Template
July 20, 2011 09:43PM
Does anyone have a template for the Prusa Thick sheets? I can't seem to find one. I saw the dimensions on the build site but that doesn't give instructions on where to drill the holes. Does it not really matter?
Re: Prusa Thick Sheet Template
July 21, 2011 11:01AM
The holes go in 8mm from each corner of the lower (smaller 140 x 225mm) piece of sheet. Then space the upper (larger 225x225mm) sheet equally underneath it, and redrill the holes. See here or the "assembling the Y axis" section of the visual instructions. This is how I did it.
September 07, 2011 08:43AM
Does anyone have any templates or specs for more refined Thin/Thick Sheets for the Prusa?

I've seen these on [www.thingiverse.com] made from wood though more interested in something like BotMill use [botmill.com] or here [botmill.com] with the spyder board!

Cheers guys
September 07, 2011 01:37PM
All you need for a Prusa is a rectangle and a square. From the BOM:

1 225mm×225mm print top plate Thick Sheet
1 140mm×225mm print bottom plate Thick Sheet

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 08, 2011 05:45AM
The outlines of these dxfs follow the recommended sizes in the BOM. The magnets stuff is optional

[www.thingiverse.com]
September 08, 2011 06:01AM
Right thanks for the replies guys! Think I'll go for the simple standard square Thick Sheet set for now, as mentioned by Nophead.

Has anyone made these out of Ali? Any problems or comments with using Ali? I was thinking 4mm thick Ali sheet!

Thanks again for any responses yawning smiley
September 08, 2011 06:09AM
I guess you are talking about Aluminium and not human parts winking smiley

You want both of those sheets to be rigid and a carriage as light as possible. Not sure AL is the best choice - maybe if it is hollowed out to decrease weight?

Check out also if some "open carriage" designs might be adapted to use bushings/linear bearings.
September 08, 2011 08:18AM
3mm Dibond is pretty good for those parts. It is lighter than aluminium but nearly as stiff.

September 08, 2011 12:43PM
Right so this stuff would be ok? [www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk]

Nophead do you use Dibond then?

If so I must admit I like the idea of a bit of colour rather than wood lol
September 08, 2011 02:36PM
Yes I use 3mm Dibond but mine is only grey and sliver. That looks like a very useful shop, thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login