Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Absolute beginner questions

Posted by Tothe 
Absolute beginner questions
August 24, 2011 09:39PM
Hello all. I'm new to these forums, and new to 3D printing. I scanned through the forums, and didn't see any immediately obvious threads with my general questions, so I apologize if this is "identical n00b thread #532."

Background: Architectural draftsman, 3 yrs experience, mostly AutoCAD. Occasional mechanical projects. 2D and 3D.
Interests: Rapid prototyping for the occasional mechanical projects, and general goofing around to see what a rapid prototyper can do.
Future projects: I'd like to try my hand at fabricating custom gaming terrain for Warhammer 40K, Flames of War, &c.
Questions: 1) How much detail can be designed into the model? 2) Does the stratification of material have any physical texture, and if so, to what degree? 3) what are the typical costs and time for manufacturing a reprap? 4) what are the costs for the plastics used for manufacturing items?
Re: Absolute beginner questions
August 24, 2011 10:29PM
As a 40K player myself, I think I can answer this smiling smiley A great deal of detail can be added to the model, but there will be stratification. The amount depends on your layer height. A layer height of 0.3 mm will show fairly obvious layers, while 0.10 mm or so will be harder to discern. If you're planning to make contoured hills and other natural features, you could print at a lower resolution and just cover the print in a thin layer of spackle or green stuff to smooth it out. If you're interested in making mechanical stuff, a lower layer height will be better, as well as a thick basecoat to fill in some of the crevasses between layers. Go ahead and forget about making figures, though. At least, as long as you'd want them to look good smiling smiley The resolution just isn't there yet.

There are some great examples of excellent prints on the Thingiverse page for the Yoda bust, such as this one:

[www.thingiverse.com]
August 24, 2011 11:12PM
this website may be of help, here you can find some samples of things people make with reprap's and makerbots [www.thingiverse.com]
The plastic i believe runs for around 15 dollars per lb. which is a decent amount of plastic

Morist
August 25, 2011 12:00AM
Hmmm. And what programs or file types are best? AutoCAD can save as a 3DS Max file if necessary, or I could learn Google Sketchup better, or is there a universal (preferably free) interface program for the RepRap?

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." ~ H.L. Mencken
August 25, 2011 12:50AM
A lot of developers favor OpenSCAD for 3D CAD and export in STL since almost all 3D printer software use this as input. I think some people use Sketchup. Just about any CAD sw that can output STL should work. The most popular and the best way to print STL files is to use Skeinforge to generate g-codes which are sent to the printer using either Printrun or Reprapper.

Note that you can still buy 5 lbs spools of ABS feed for $40. Note that at this time, you can only print once color at a time unless you slice different colored filaments together or use multiple extruders.
August 25, 2011 01:49AM
brnrd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Note that you can still buy 5 lbs spools of ABS
> feed for $40. Note that at this time, you can only
> print once color at a time unless you slice
> different colored filaments together or use
> multiple extruders.

5 lbs for $40; where? That sounds awesome!
August 25, 2011 03:47AM
Hi,

Which Filament is better to use ABS or PLA ??? and for what ?
What are their properties etc ?

Thanks Spenc
VDX
August 25, 2011 03:58AM
ABS is more heat resistant, but PLA is easier to print and bonds better to the bed - read through the forum, there is a ton of regading infos ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 25, 2011 07:41AM
Pointedstick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> brnrd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Note that you can still buy 5 lbs spools of ABS
> > feed for $40. Note that at this time, you can
> only
> > print once color at a time unless you slice
> > different colored filaments together or use
> > multiple extruders.
>
>
> 5 lbs for $40; where? That sounds awesome!

I bought it from New Image Plastic. If you buy 10 lbs, then you can get it in a spool. Less than that, they come as a coil. Village plastics has similar prices when I priced them a few months ago.
August 25, 2011 02:44PM
Is there anyone in the NW US who could help me build one of these? And what is the usual cost if I need to order parts and build from scratch?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 02:46PM by Tothe.
August 25, 2011 07:00PM
Hi Tothe,
Welcome to the forum. There's good info on RepRap price points here (by Neil Underwood): [blog.reprap.org] (Aug 24th 2011 post).

I posted a recent question about PLA vs ABS here: [forums.reprap.org] and got excellent responses from the many helpful people here on the forum.

Best of luck.
NumberSix

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login