Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Going to build a Prusa with ToM

Posted by ostrich99 
Going to build a Prusa with ToM
August 26, 2011 12:47PM
All,

So my Thing-o-Matic kit will arrive on Monday. Can't wait to get it built.

I chose to start with a ToM first because I think I can get it up and printing quicker than starting with a Prusa.

That said, one of the early things I'd like to print on it is a Prusa so I can print some larger objects.

I noticed on the main reprap.org page it has plates for printing a prusa on a ToM. How can I tell if these are the latest version?

Or would I be better off just printing out the parts one by one, or assembling my own plates from the individual parts since I beleive I should print the bushings in PLA anyways, and the rest in ABS correct?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Ostrich99
Re: Going to build a Prusa with ToM
August 26, 2011 12:54PM
I've used the plates as well as individual objects, and if you have an automated build platform you might as well use it for the single part at a time kind of prints.
And yes, ABS body and PLA bushings is a good way to do that.
August 26, 2011 12:59PM
I have the automated build platform, but based on some of the issues printing taller objects and others complaining about issues with it, I'm thinking about starting with just the Heated Build Platform first, and once I get some nice prints out of it, maybe I'll try the ABP.

I'm going to build both when I assemble it, but just put the HBP in to start with.
August 26, 2011 02:14PM
I built a ToM in June and am one part away from having a Prusa printed on it. My rods & motors arrived this morning too. RAMPS should arrive next week.

Definitely go with the HBP at the start, along with an aluminum build plate covered in Kapton tape...trust me, it's the best build surface for the ToM.

[johnbiehler.com]
August 26, 2011 02:20PM
My Aluminum platform should arrive today as I ordered some other stuff after I ordered my makerbot.

Didn't order any Kapton, although I think some comes with the kit. You like that better than the 3M blue tape eh?

Thanks for all the tips/etc.

Can't wait to join in all the fun with everyone.
August 26, 2011 02:24PM
I bought (and highly recommend) the 4" kapton tape...ABS sticks like glue to it. Blue painters tape is okay (still better than the ABP) but kapton really works great.

You only get a thin (width) roll of kapton with the ToM.

Happy building! It's a fun process.
August 28, 2011 12:07PM
I have a non heated plexiglass bed covered in kapton.
Im only printing PLA onit now and all i can say it wow.
When printing the object stays glued but 10 minutes have the print is done, and the part has cooled,
i can also just flick it off where as if i try and pull it even if its just slightly warm, i cant.
well i can just have to pull and jerk and i dont like it.
@john this is fun, addicting, challenging process.
I love it.
-E
August 29, 2011 10:41PM
John, Started building my build platform tonight.

I can't seem to find any instructions on the aluminum platform and what to do differently on it. Should I still use the wiper? etc.

Any pointers?

Thanks for any guidance you may have.

Ostrich99
August 29, 2011 10:48PM
I have the countersunk build platform and skipped the wiper so now the surface is completely flat and covered in kapton tape.

I didn't find specific instructions, just observed everyone else's. I've got some photos and video of mine here:

[johnbiehler.com]

Hope that helps!
September 02, 2011 12:17PM
So after 4 nights (late nights) I have ToM #5287 up and running with the Heated Bed and Aluminum build surface.

Printed a nice 20mm calibration cube as the first print. But I think my belts are not quite tensioned right as when I printed a bottle opener that had holes in it, the holes didn't come out round.

So after I tweak that and get it dialed in, it's time to print my first batch of Prusa parts.

I'm addicted. This is by far the coolest thing I've built.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login