Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bottom plate size important?

Posted by MikeyK 
Bottom plate size important?
August 31, 2011 02:55AM
I am wondering here that is the bottom plate size important?

It seems to me that the size could be a bit bigger, or is it just a weight thing?

Also in my opinion, the bottom slide rods should be placed wider -> more accurate movement?

and to improve rigidity in the middle, there should be one threaded rod more between those sliding rods, just below/beside the belt that moves the bed.

The material on the bottom plate seems to be MDF, propably going to use Laminate flooring on my build, its quite light, and has a very hard surface. MDF from inside though.

Just thinking aloud here smiling smiley No offense to anyone. I am currently building my first Prusa and these ideas just have come up while building.
Re: Bottom plate size important?
August 31, 2011 04:07AM
> Just thinking aloud here

just draft & design & share aloud winking smiley
Re: Bottom plate size important?
August 31, 2011 04:49AM
I don't think there's any problem making it wider, except that standard sized heat beds will be too narrow, so the space is wasted. If you make it longer, you will limit Y axis travel. I'm making the one on my current build wider and shorter, with the top plate having more of an overhang, so more Z axis travel. Might need a custom heater!

The extra threaded rod in the middle has been suggested before and does fit; some people have adopted it if their Z-axis smooth rod isn't that tightly held, as tightening the belt can pull the threaded bar of the frame in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login