Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Differences between printer models?

Posted by ProDigit 
Differences between printer models?
September 03, 2011 11:25AM
Hi,

I've seen quite an amount of models of 3D printers out there, and wondered if anyone knows the differences between models.
Quite often each printer (like the orca, the glider, the Axis v2 ) compare themselves to the prusa mendel being somewhat 'better'.

I'd like to know which model has good quality prints, is easy to mount, comes in a kit, and perhaps other differences between models!

I've heard the Orca model has improved print drivers.
I've also read about extruder types, (they are now at extruder v9, which I believe to be an improved version of the previous versions).
Some have a thinner nozzle for finer works, while others have a thicker nozzle for faster bulk printing...

So any explanation, or link to a page that sums up the main differences between printers would be awesome! (I live in USA, so preferably USA printers).

If you need (and would buy) another 3D printer, which one would it be, and why? (also calculate in your decision price, as we probably all want the best of the best, but it may not be affordable to us).
Re: Differences between printer models?
September 05, 2011 04:16PM
I have an original mendel and it is a complicated build, I'm building a Prusa as it is much simplified, don't know about the Orca it's very new, but here in New Zealand Prusa still seems to be what everyone is building

September 05, 2011 05:01PM
In the absence of a standard set of benchmarks and common agreement about criteria, difficult to judge...
September 08, 2011 02:22AM
...Which is why we need some kind of hands-on experience between both!
Besides the fact that there are so many different models out there, some goign with cheaper motors, or bearings, or other parts, some selling with more expensive ones...

I just wished there was some sort of benchmark out there!
September 08, 2011 06:02AM
I have asked around, in another thread, for ideas about what we should measure, that could set the basis for a suite of tests, but no answers yet.

So here it is again: we need input on which features we should test, that are good proxy indicators/predictors for quality bulds.

Anyone there?
September 14, 2011 05:29AM
Hi

I think makegear resume well this point of difference between printers :

[www.makergear.com]

It depends not only of the model, but on how you build/tune it

regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login