Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need wiring help regarding motor drivers - The Phonix Project

Posted by disneytoy 
Need wiring help regarding motor drivers - The Phonix Project
September 16, 2011 06:23PM
Hi!

I'm working a what I call the Phoenix Project. Utilizing reclaimed parts from older Epson printers. Motors, drivers, power, pulleys, opto switches etc.

[forums.reprap.org]

I don't have that much electronics experience and would appreciate advice on how I should interface the Arduino to my 4 - UDN2917 Full-Bridge PWM Motor Drivers ICs. Attached is the PDF of the pinouts.

Petrus, has a similar project and was successful.

[forums.reprap.org]

I like the idea, that you may alrwady have most of the parts you need to build a 3D printer using obsolete printers, copy machines, scanners you may have in your garage or closet.

And in the Epson case, I can leave intact everything coming in from the power, Stepper controllers, wiring to the motors, the gears, mounts, pulleys, belts and rods. I just need to tap into the driver ICs to control everything from the Arduino.

Thanks for your help!

Max
Attachments:
open | download - a2917.pdf (178.2 KB)
open | download - P1030451.jpg (441.6 KB)
Re: Need wiring help regarding motor drivers - The Phonix Project
September 16, 2011 06:58PM
Here is a better pic of the pinouts.
Attachments:
open | download - a2917-1.jpg (209.3 KB)
September 19, 2011 10:41PM
By any chance does these have what you are looking for:

[www.datasheets.org.uk] -> page 85-86-87
[www.datasheets.org.uk] -> page 18

First one is better, check around pages 85-86-87, the motor outputs are on a schematic and there are some phase tables also. I think its only a little more than that datasheet, not much.

To me it looks kinda weird or at least an unusual thing to interface, but i do wish you good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2011 10:43PM by NoobMan.
September 20, 2011 01:09PM
You will need a translator for each axis to use the epson's steppers drivers.
I made them with scavenged atmega48 microcontrollers. End-stops are also managed by the microcontroller. Here are the schematic and source code :

step_xy.c

But if you can't have microcontrollers for cheap, it may be more economic to buy stepper drivers with built-in translator.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login