Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hardware or software problem

Posted by NelsonRap 
Hardware or software problem
September 26, 2011 01:19AM
I replaced the hobbed insert on my original Mendel because the old one was worn and now when I try and calibrate with the new one, it doesn't mater what I set the E steps to in the Gen6 firmware I can only achieve 75mm of extrusion when I try and extrude 100mm.

My E steps were originally set to 780.6 and I have tried everything from 750-1250 with no difference I can still only get between 70-75mm. I am running very slow at 75mm/s set in repsnapper.

I put a mark on my PLA and at times I can visually see it stop then continue. I am going to flash the Gen6 board tomorrow as I have just re downloaded the firmware but I can't tell if it's a hardware or software fault. If it stopped at a particular place I would think it is the hobbed insert but it doesn't it seems to be random.

I am trying the firmware first, but I also wondered if perhaps it was skipping some steps in places but don't know how I would be able to tell.

This is affecting my large prints as they are coming out sparse on the top layers but small prints like gears are fine.

If anyone has any thoughts on this issue I would be appreciative of your help

Thanks

I have just finished a Sanguino board for a Prusa I'm building and flashed it with Sprinter and might even hook this up to my Mendel if I have time

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2011 01:23AM by NelsonRap.

September 26, 2011 01:28AM
You should be able to visualize any missed steps, as the movement of the filament would not be smooth.

Based on what you say here, my gut tells me the firmware is not being successfully re-flashed with each config change...

In my personal experience, I find it easiest to remove the hot-end when performing these calculations - you didn't mention if you did or not here, but wanted to throw that out there. Then you can just retract the filament for you next reading... no waste!
Re: Hardware or software problem
September 26, 2011 01:31AM
No I didn't remove the hot end but what a damn fine idea. The arduino software says it is uploading fine and I can here the motors start to hum again once it is finished

September 26, 2011 01:34AM
Not sure what firmware you are using... but Sprinter has the M92 command, allowing you to define the steps per mm in GCode so you don't have to reflash until you've figured out what works for you.
September 26, 2011 01:39AM
Standard Gen 6 from Mendel parts as it is there Gen 6 board, thought about putting Sprinter on but need to find a guide to setting it up.

is there a way I an actually check if the firmware has actually been uploaded as it says it has each time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2011 01:40AM by NelsonRap.

September 26, 2011 03:24AM
Hey Nelson,

I hope you figure out your problem soon. I would agree with what everyone has been saying so far.

You should see/hear if your extruder is missing steps, sounds clunky and the filament or the gears won't turn smoothly. Also, I would suggest checking the teeth on the your hobbed bolt. If you see lots of PLA/ABS stuck in the teeth you might want to tighten the idler on the extruder. I was having this kind of problem before and really tightening down the idler made a world of difference.

Good luck Nelson, hope I helped some.

[bdc]
September 26, 2011 06:56PM
Fingers crossed it's fixed

September 27, 2011 03:46PM
Out of curiousity - what worked for you? I'm having a similar issue.
September 27, 2011 05:38PM
I re uploaded then waited a couple of minutes before re starting Repsnapper which has to be closed otherwise the firmware cannot upload

Click here to login