Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

linear bearings for bottom plate

Posted by Gimpone 
linear bearings for bottom plate
September 27, 2011 05:35PM
So I had a curious moment today and decided to toy with the idea of a basic linear slide setup for the bottom plate, it would be setup roughly the same as the pla bushing strategy except replacing the pla bushing with this sleeve bushing McMaster link and securing them to the bottom of the bottom plate with a 1/2" pvc 2 screw conduit clamps. Is there any reason to not do this that I am over looking? Anyone else ever try anything like this?
Re: linear bearings for bottom plate
September 27, 2011 05:41PM
See attached files, I just re drew them as the originals were too tight for my bearings they take the LM8uu bearing from VXB bearings in America

open | download - Gregs X carriage.STL (306.9 KB)
September 28, 2011 01:52AM
$4.35 each? Yikes. I'd just use some LM8UUs bought off eBay, personally. In fact, that's what I did do, and it works great! >grinning smiley<
September 28, 2011 03:04AM
I think I might do that in future too, it's difficult being in NZ as not everyone will ship here

September 28, 2011 03:23AM
NelsonRap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I might do that in future too, it's
> difficult being in NZ as not everyone will ship
> here

The "chinese" ebay sellers usually ship worldwide, for instance I bought one of those set last month :

[cgi.ebay.fr]

Delivery was fast for me (to France).
September 28, 2011 07:15AM
I am building the SAE Prusa Mendel, using 5/16" smooth rod, would the LM8UUs still be usable? the ID would be .07mm too large.
September 28, 2011 08:54AM
I just finished putting LM8UU's on both the X and Y axis of my SAE Prusa with 5/16" smooth rods and it works great. While there is certainly some play in an individual bearing on the rod, once I got all three on for each axis, there was next to no room for lateral movement. Best upgrade I've made yet next to nophead's Z couplers.

BTW I bought 12 bearings off ebay for US$20 with free shipping from China. Certainly took a while to get here, but I would imagine it's a much quicker trip to NZ.

-Jason

.: repraponaut.blogspot.com :.
September 28, 2011 02:49PM
I will certainly be looking into it as I am about to start making some Prusa's as kits due to the demand here and no one else seems to be doing it

September 28, 2011 03:13PM
nelson, thank you for the files, do you have a brief explanation of how to build the bottom plate (smooth rod distances from each other, plate orientation, etc...) using those parts? I did some snooping and couldn't find anything in the wiki about it. maybe I missed something?
September 28, 2011 03:48PM
Well I have set my smooth rods up at 140mm between or 148mm C/C, and can move my brackets accordingly to match very easily. I hope to get photo's up in the next day or so for people to look at, Just not having enough time at the moment and that's despite not working.

Oh the X carriage is set to 50mm C/C of the smooth rod

Click here to login