Source for Stepper motors
September 29, 2011 09:11PM
Hello all,
I am a currently planning on building a Prusa Mendal from scratch to save some money (me being a broke student) and have been looking for affordable places to source parts from. I have been looking around for a good affordable NEMA 17 stepper motor that fits the requirements for the Prusa with little success. I have worked with a sourcing company from China called Seeed Studio before and had excellent service. They currently do not carry a stepper motor that would fit the requirements, but if the reprap community showed a decent amount of interest, I'm sure they would start carrying steppers as they are a strong supporter of all open source hardware.

Please vote for the idea for carrying steppers up on the Seeed studio website!

[www.seeedstudio.com]

Thanks,

Nigel
Re: Source for Stepper motors
September 30, 2011 12:34AM
Tony is a reputable source for quality stepper motors. I know him personally. His prices are extremely affordable, and the motors are clean, and identically matched.

[myworld.ebay.com]
September 30, 2011 04:07PM
I checked out Tony's ebay page, looks really great!

Seeedstudio really supports open source hardware. I was more thinking along the lines of a stepper sourced specifically for reprap for the people that would like the piece of mind of buying new stepper motors that have data sheets and have been documented to work with reprap.
September 30, 2011 04:14PM
I have 100 Wantai .9deg steppers on my site. They are new and they get cheaper the more you buy. I am new to the community (and my site is unfinished but functional) but I have sold on ebay for years. I accept Paypal and Google checkout currently.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.Robosprout.com RepRap Mendel parts and accessories.
Message if there is anything you need...I have more than what is listed on my site.
Located in the Spokane, WA / Coeur d'Alene, ID area.
October 01, 2011 03:30PM
I also bought stepper motors from Tony on Ebay, he is a great guy and even let me pick them up locally to save on shipping costs. He has TONS of motors even some not even listed on Ebay, He let me browse through his assortment of motors and i bought an extra Nema 17 that has a lot more torque to use for my extruder.

I bought these motors [www.ebay.com] and they seem to have plenty of torque, I can't find a data sheet on them but Tony says they have about 29 oz/in uni-polar & 33.5 oz/in bi-polar.

The shafts are only 15mm but that's because there is a little vibration absorbing rubber pad and plate on the front of the motors (it could probably be removed with a little bit of work which would leave a 20mm shaft)... it hasn't been a problem for my Prusa though. I think it's actually a good thing because it insulates the hot motors from my PLA parts and reduces vibration in the machine (although there isn't much with 16th microstepping).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2011 03:31PM by daufhammer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login