Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SketchUp

Posted by Mike 
SketchUp
April 13, 2008 03:18PM
Hi, new here and I was just wondering if there were any plans to make reprap files compatible with SketchUp or something similar. I don't know how reprap object files are created, but that would be a great way to make creating objects simple and fun.
Re: SketchUp
April 14, 2008 03:08PM
I wanted that too... I'm getting used to AoI more and more, but SketchUp is REALLY easy to learn and accessible. Besudes their 3D warehouse is HUGE!!

I had found a ruby script that could be placed in the SketchUp plugin directory to export a shape to .stl. It didn't work for objects from Google's 3D Warehouse (which is huge and would be really cool to 'harness'!). You can probably find it (I'm not running the Windows VM here so can't tell you)

Some objects are uploaded there as COLLADA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COLLADA) which is an open standard (there is also an open source viewer for them and blender can load them):
[colladablender.illusoft.com]

For kmlz files (you can export to this format in Google SketchUp) you can import these in blender through this script:
[www.blendernation.com]

Good luck!

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
April 28, 2008 07:06PM
That would be really cool. One annoying thing is that Sketchup isn't currently available for Linux. That might change in the next year or so (hopefully...).
May 01, 2008 10:39AM
I just found this: [www.crai.archi.fr]

There's something on there called SU2STL, which appears to export STL from Sketchup.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login