Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Software Issues

Posted by Ithacacian 
Software Issues
April 27, 2008 04:12PM
Hi guys,

I have an issue I'm running into when I'm printing parts. As soon as I start the build, the build progress window displays the little warmup strip off to the left (before its even printed out) but doesn't display anything subsequently, even though I'm able to print the part. What is this?

Also, the warmup routine is a little annoying, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to change it. Firstly, it starts printing during warmup at 40C below the working temperature. Also, it prints at a constant (rather slow) speed no matter how I switch the parameters in the Extruder_0 page, including outline and infill speed and xy speed. This is bad because if I'm trying to go fast, the output bunches up and screws up the nozzle for the printed part by clumping around the tip. I am just fixing it by hand for now. The temperature problem is also annoying because it doesn't reach optimal temperature until the part is already under progress, which changes the extrusion speed somewhat.

I am printing at about 7mm above the working surface right now. Is this too high? The wiki just says a few, but for my clumping problem, 3mm is too low. My only concern is the higher the output, the more it tends to want to wander after being extruded but before being deposited. Experiences?

I also periodically get this error, though the software and debug behavior come back as though nothing had happened:

java.io.IOException: Timeout receiving byte
at org.reprap.comms.snap.SNAPCommunicator.receivePacket(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.comms.snap.SNAPCommunicator.receiveMessage(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.comms.IncomingMessage.(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.comms.messages.IncomingIntMessage.(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.devices.GenericStepperMotor$RequestDDAMasterResponse.(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.devices.GenericStepperMotor.dda(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.devices.pseudo.LinePrinter.moveTo(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.machines.Reprap.moveTo(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.geometry.Producer.produce(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.Main$21.run(Unknown Source)
IO error/timeout, resending
at org.reprap.devices.GenericStepperMotor$RequestDDAMasterResponse.(Unknown Source)

Is this indicative of anything?

I also tried installing the host software on Mac (Macbook Pro Santa Rosa), and it worked, but I couldn't get it to recognize the port (yes, I do have rxtx) for communications. But that was promising I thought and frankly easier than the linux install, if only because the directions for the linux install are in the developers section, and there are some discontinuities there. All I had to do was put java3D .jars in library/java/lib/ext and rxtx in java/extensions and I was ready to go. That was literally it. Port names are different in Mac, though. Tried /dev/tty.usbserial, tried that with serial for converter appended, some other stuff, nothing would work. If anyone knows what it is, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

I'm using the PIC architecture on a RepStrap.
Re: Software Issues
May 09, 2008 10:39AM
I am 1.2 mm away from my tray at the moment. I am not an expert but I would say 7 mm is a lot. My experience is that the closer I am the more preciese results I get dimensianally. Mind, not to get too close otherwise you mess up your deposited filament. I do not know what others use, 1.2 works well on my setup...

Adam
Re: Software Issues
May 09, 2008 11:09AM
I always extrude with the head lower than the filament diameter, so 0.4mm for 0.5mm filament, otherwise inter-layer adhesion is poor and the filament wanders from its intended path.

It doesn't mess up deposited filament because the head lifts when passing over already deposited stuff. Even with out the head lift I never noticed any disturbance.

You can tell when it is too low for the flow rate and head speed, plastic starts to build up around the nozzle tip and drops off in big blobs.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login