Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Much easier way to produce models

Posted by Ross Parkes 
Greetings folks,

Just like to share with all, what I believe is a MUCH better way of creating models for printing.

A friend put me onto Google's SketchUp 7 which can be downloaded free. After doing this and playing around I was able to produce a small component to print inside a few minutes but was not able to export it in a format that can be used in the RepRap software.

Solution is to download su2stl.rb from [www.crai.archi.fr]
and place this ruby script into the Plugins directory of SketchUp.

Exporting the model from SketchUp produces an STL but loading it with the reprap software 'munges' it into a spikey ball.

Instead, import the stl produced by SketchUp into AOI and export the STL from here into another file. This file will now import perfectly into the Reprap software.

All I need to do now is complete my RepRap so I can print it, a minor detail...eye rolling smiley

Have only done this with some simple models and would be interested to see how others fare with this.

SketchUp is AWESOME!
VDX
Re: Much easier way to produce models
March 05, 2009 03:06AM
Hi Ross,

... look here: [forums.reprap.org]

Truespace is a (previous comercially, now free) 3D-designing and -animating software with outstanding capabilities and exports into many common 3D-formats, including STL ...

Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login