Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder board OR host software problems?

Posted by wei 
wei
Extruder board OR host software problems?
August 13, 2008 02:35PM
Hi,

Could anyone help me here?
I am building the RepRap Darwin 1.0 ver and it starts to move under the host software two days ago but without printing anything from the extruder head. I used to use the 10K bead thermistor from Maplin store and the temperature range is only up to 155C which is enough for me since I am using CAPA. I tried to heat up the temperature to 80C with the 10K bead thermistor and after that time my extruder keep giving me problems. I cant even access to the extruder excercise now, it jump out from the host software when I try to click on the extruder excercise.

I suspect maybe I burn some components from my extruder board but I am not sure. Or could it be the host software problem? I am using microsoft reprap-host 0.8.3 now. Besides, did anyone know what should I put for the Port(name) under the reprap preference if I connect the RS232 by a USB converter? COM1, COM2, USB dint work in my laptop.

I am thinking to replace the 10K minuature thermistor from Rapid (61-0446). Does anyone know what is the different between a bead thermistor and a miniature thermistor?

Many thanks,
Wei
wei
Re: Extruder board OR host software problems?
August 13, 2008 03:33PM
Does anyone know what is the line below means
Error 0x5 at /home/bob/foo/rxtx-devel/build/../src/termios.c<860>: Access is denied

Sometimes I can access to the stepper test but sometimes message below pop out repeatly
Receive error, re-sending: Timeout receiving byte

What is the main problems I have?
Sorry for the stupid questions if I posted because I am not a computer programmer and I dont understand the code.
Plus I am using microsoft host software might try linux if this still bother me.
Not sure if other microsoft user have face the same problems here.
August 13, 2008 04:33PM
Unless I'm mistaken, that first line looks like you're trying to compile the host software, not just run it. Although it's java, not C, so now I'm quite confused. What are you doing when you get that error? Anyway, it *appears* to be a permission issue. Try running with an admin account, and see if that solves the problem.

The second one is definitely a communication issue. The times when you can access the stepper test, does it run successfully? If so a physical connection problem seems most likely to me - check your cables, make sure everything is tight, and try it again. If all else fails, try a new cable. They can be flaky sometimes.
August 13, 2008 05:18PM
The error is probably coming from the rxtx library. I found this: [wiring.org.co]

...and this:
[www.romraider.com]
emt
August 14, 2008 04:45AM
Hi

Are you using Gen 1 electronics or Arduino?

If you are running under Windows to find out the port open Settings, Control Panel, System and look in hardware, device manager under Ports (Com & LPT).

You should see the list of com ports and work out which one is the USB converter port

Regards

Ian
wei
August 15, 2008 02:41PM
Hi Ian, I am using the Gen1 electronics.

I suspect I have blow up the electronics because I remembered the power supply was not so stable when I run it. It jump up to 15V few times.

Does anyone face the same problems the power supply voltage is fluctuating when running the z-axis?

How can I test if the board is damage?

Darren
August 18, 2008 02:48AM
I did something with my Gen1 electronics that meant that the powercomms board wasn't distributing the power or the comms to the other boards. I tried to troubleshoot it for an hour or so but thats not my forte and I just decided to get a whole new set of Ardunio electronics instead of figuring out what went wrong and undoing it.

Before it crapped out altogether it was inconsistently sending power and comms so that may be a similar problem to yours.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login