Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Intermittant reprap comms

Posted by james glanville 
Intermittant reprap comms
September 18, 2008 02:58PM
Hi, I'm almost finished building my reprap, but have been plagued by repeated comms errors. Whether I'm using the stepper exerciser or trying a "dry build" (Not extruding yet), suddenly the reprap becomes non-responsive, and a whole load of resend count exceeded warnings flood the console. If I press the reset button on my sanguino, it works for another minute or so. I think there must be some sort of interference on the tx rx lines, because if I lower the baud in the firmware and the software to 4800 I get an improvement. However, I still get errors, and commands take longer to have effect. I am using the rrrf usb-ttl cable, and my OS is ubuntu. I have tried disabling brltty, which did not help. I do not think it is a power supply problem, as I get the errors when powered over usb or from my reprap power supply. If anyone has any ideas they would be very much appreciated.
Re: Intermittant reprap comms
September 18, 2008 03:57PM
The most likely thing to create comms errors is the extruder motor. Are you running it? If so try disconnecting it and repeating the test.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 18, 2008 04:06PM
The extruder motor is not connected, the errors occur even when the sanguino is not connected to anything.
September 18, 2008 04:37PM
If it gives comms errors and then does nothing else till reset it sound like it has crashed. Either that or the protocol is incomplete so it can't recover from errors.

September 18, 2008 04:55PM
Is there anything I can do? If I can't get reliable communications going then I am not sure how I can start printing. Do you think trying a different laptop with a very stripped-down version of gentoo would reduce latency? Its pretty much the only thing I can think of.
September 18, 2008 05:28PM
Perhaps you have the same problem Erik has here: [forums.reprap.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login