Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Software Errors (With Debugger set to true)

Posted by jajo 
Software Errors (With Debugger set to true)
October 05, 2008 08:53PM
I have an error in the RepRap Software. In the MS-DOS window, I get the following:

C:\Program Files\RepRap\reprap-host-20080523>rem reprap-host -- runs Reprap Java
host code with an appropriate classpath

C:\Program Files\RepRap\reprap-host-20080523>rem Amount of RAM to allow Java VM
to use

C:\Program Files\RepRap\reprap-host-20080523>set RAM_SIZE=384M

C:\Program Files\RepRap\reprap-host-20080523>rem reprap.jar file and stl file

C:\Program Files\RepRap\reprap-host-20080523>set REPRAP_DIR=C:\Program Files\Rep
rap

C:\Program Files\RepRap\reprap-host-20080523>rem Java3D and j3d.org libraries

C:\Program Files\RepRap\reprap-host-20080523>set JAVA_LIBRARY_DIR=C:\Program Fil
es\Java\shared

C:\Program Files\RepRap\reprap-host-20080523>rem cd so we can find the reprap-wv
.stl file. Can we avoid this??

C:\Program Files\RepRap\reprap-host-20080523>IF NOT EXIST reprap-wv.stl cd "C:\P
rogram Files\Reprap"

C:\Program Files\RepRap\reprap-host-20080523>java -cp ".;.\reprap.jar;C:\Program
Files\Reprap\;C:\Program Files\Reprap\reprap.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\shared\*
" -Xmx384M org/reprap/Main
DEBUG: Your preferences file contains:
Extruder1_ExtrusionDelay(ms)
Extruder0_ExtrusionDelay(ms)
Extruder0_NozzleWipeDatumY
Extruder0_NozzleWipeDatumX
Extruder0_NozzleWipeStroke
Extruder1_NozzleWipeDatumY
Extruder1_NozzleWipeDatumX
Extruder1_NozzleWipeStroke
which are not in the distribution preferences file. [0.078s/-1223253469078ms]
DEBUG: The distribution preferences file contains:
Extruder0_ShortSpeed(0..1)
Extruder0_NozzleWipeStrokehot smileymm)
Extruder1_ShortLength(mm)
Extruder0_ValveDelayForLayer(ms)
Extruder1_NozzleWipeDatumhot smileymm)
Extruder0_ExtrusionBroadWidth(mm)
Extruder0_MinimumZClearance(mm)
Extruder0_NozzleClearTime(s)
Extruder1_NozzleWipeStrokehot smileymm)
Extruder0_RandomStart
Extruder1_ShortSpeed(0..1)
Extruder0_NozzleWipeDatumhot smileymm)
Extruder1_LowerFineThickness(mm)
Extruder0_NozzleWaitTime(s)
Extruder1_ExtrusionBroadWidth(mm)
Extruder1_ValveDelayForPolygon(ms)
Extruder0_ExtrusionDelayForLayer(ms)
Extruder1_NozzleClearTime(s)
Extruder1_MinimumZClearance(mm)
Extruder0_UpperFineThickness(mm)
Extruder1_ExtrusionDelayForPolygon(ms)
Extruder0_IncrementedStart
Extruder0_ExtrusionDelayForPolygon(ms)
Extruder1_IncrementedStart
Extruder1_ValveDelayForLayer(ms)
Extruder0_InfillOverlap(mm)
Extruder1_RandomStart
Extruder1_NumberOfShells(0..N)
Extruder0_ValvePulseTime(ms)
Extruder0_ValveOverRun(mm)
Extruder1_UpperFineThickness(mm)
Extruder0_NumberOfShells(0..N)
Extruder1_NozzleWaitTime(s)
Extruder1_ValveOverRun(mm)
DisplaySimulation
Extruder0_NozzleWipeStrokeY(mm)
Extruder1_ExtrusionDelayForLayer(ms)
InterLayerCooling
Extruder1_ValvePulseTime(ms)
Extruder1_NozzleWipeDatumY(mm)
XYReZeroInterval(mm)
Extruder0_ShortLength(mm)
Extruder0_LowerFineThickness(mm)
Extruder1_NozzleWipeStrokeY(mm)
Extruder0_NozzleWipeDatumY(mm)
Extruder0_ValveDelayForPolygon(ms)
Extruder1_InfillOverlap(mm)
which are not in your preferences file. [0.094s/16ms]
DEBUG: Opening port COM3 [0.094s/0ms]
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
DEBUG: Attempting to initialize Arduino [0.656s/562ms]
Exception in thread "GUI Poll" java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.reprap.gui.botConsole.GenericExtruderTabPanel.refreshTemperature(
Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.gui.botConsole.GenericExtruderTabPanel.access$100(Unknown
Source)
at org.reprap.gui.botConsole.GenericExtruderTabPanel$1.run(Unknown Sourc
e)

And the RepRap Software window titled "RepRap" is grey. Around the edge of the window it displays a frozen picture of what was on that part of the screen before the RepRap window was maximized.
Re: Software Errors (With Debugger set to true)
October 06, 2008 01:24PM
Do you not have your boards plugged into your arduino or maybe plugged in incorrectly? Specifically the PWM Driver board and the DC Motor Driver boards. Other than that I don't know.

Demented
October 08, 2008 03:11PM
Jajo, I had a fair bit of trouble with that software too. One way to check it for me was to download the 0.6 version of the RepRap Live CD, boot it, and run it there. Be aware, the 0.7 live CD version didn't work for me or a lot of other people - you'll notice that the version numbers are all 0.x - that means they're not quite finished yet.

Anyway, loading up the CD should get you a clean installation of the software, so you can see if the problem is with your Java installation, or your electronics. It's Linux, which I prefer right now, but it won't be what you're used to. I had a lot of trouble setting up the Java environment for the host software to run, but the 0.6 Live CD worked great.

Personally, I never could get the Java host software to work well, so I've switched over to the Gcode version of the Arduino firmware. That has been difficult as well, but now I'm at least printing the occasional part.

Good luck! Feel free to msg me with more questions, although I can't guarantee that I know the answers. smiling smiley

Wade
October 12, 2008 08:16AM
Wade:

I tried to use the Live DVD 0.7 but could not see the button in the preferences window to save changes. I use a windows computer, but am running the live DVD. Do I use COM0 or do I use \dev\tty\USB0? I have never used more than xp, it is new to me. Also, where can I get v0.6, and does it use Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

Thanks,

Jajo
October 12, 2008 10:40AM
I downloaded the 0.6 DVD from the torrent file posted on the wiki. If you can't get it, I can start seeding it later today.

To check where your USB port is, plug in your device and then run the following command in a terminal window:

dmesg | grep tty

The last message should displayed will indicate your Usb port number.

Good luck!
October 12, 2008 06:47PM
Wade:

But while running kubuntu, do I use dev\tty\usb0 or do I use COM0? And is there a command prompt in kubuntu? I am using the live cd now. Also, My electronics (a bit off topic now) when turned on, the power LEDs blink on and off. The Software runs without talking about an error, but when I click on the "rotate x" button to test the stepper, It does not work.

Jajo
October 12, 2008 07:08PM
You need to open up a terminal window, which is the linux version of a command prompt. Generally it'll be under Accessories, on the start menu. I like to set a hotkey to pop up a terminal whenever I hit cntrl-T, because I use them a lot.

Anyways, once you get a terminal running, type in
dmsesg | grep tty

That will tell you where your USB device is attached. Try unplugging it, and plugging it in, and checking where it goes.

On my system, I use /dev/ttyUSB0. It may not be the same on yours, that's why you should run the dmesg command, to find out. And watch the slashes - in Linux, they seem to like to use forward slashes. smiling smiley

There's some Linux specific help here too:
[www.reprap.org]

Anyway, that probably still won't work if you're running the 0.7 version of the CD, as there was some problem with the RXTX library setup in that version. I never got it working myself, but your mileage may vary. The 0.6 version did work for me though.

Right now I'm using Zack's ReplicatorG to spit out Gcodes straight to my Darwin. It was a bit tricky to get everything working, but it's working now - I've got 2 useable spare parts printed, and a 3rd one printing as I type this. That I like!

And about the electronics - I'm a lot better at troubleshooting electronics than I am at making Java work. Is the green power light on your Arduino (or do you have a Pic?) turning on and off? If so, you've probably got an electrical problem, maybe something is shorted and drawing too much power. If you get a whole bunch of ttyUSB messages in your log, it might be that your USB link is going up and down all the time, and you might not even have a software problem at all.

Let me know if that works. You can email me at wbortz at gmail dot com - you'll get faster responses. I have to leave my lab in a few minutes, as soon as that part finishes printing, but I'll keep an eye on my email.

Good luck!

Wade
October 27, 2008 08:04PM
My arduino light is on. I think one of the problems I may be having is my arduino is hooked up to the electronics with a mess. I am going to order the Arduino Breakout Shield 1.4 when Zach makes it available in the RRRF. Also, I could not find terminal. Or the accessories menu. I know it is faster to use your email, but I am running my live CD 0.6 (or is it 0.7) Do you happen to know how I can figure out which one I am using? I burned both to CDs and forgot to label them.
October 28, 2008 04:02PM
Jajo, yes, sloppy electronics can cause no end of problems. Intermittent shorts or open circuits are one of the hardest things to debug, and the best way to avoid them is to make sure all your connections are good and clean and tight. I always yank on a wire after I attach it, to ensure it's properly connected. Don't break it though! smiling smiley

I'm using the Arduino Breakout Shield ver 1.2, and it's great. Keeps everything neat, and its very easy to change or debug things. I see Zach is out of them at the moment, but yeah, get one as soon as possible. In the meantime, you could cut up some 0.1 inch male headers and solder the ends to your wires, as described here:
[www.reprap.org]

I just booted up the 0.6 RepRap DVD, and yes, my bad, the terminal is called "Konsole - Terminal Program" and it's under the System category on the main start menu.

If you look at the readme.txt file on the desktop, it mentions that it was created by Reece on May 23rd, 2008 - that's probably a good clue as to which CD is 0.6. A sharpie marker helps lots too. smiling smiley The readme also explains how to change your USB port. I'm fairly certain you'll need to set yours to /dev/ttyUSB0.

One final note - a good way to get instant answers for your (linux) questions is to just ask Google. A quick google search will usually find a result immediately.

Enjoy!

Wade

ps - one more thing, Sid made a stand alone version of the Java software, that might work for you too. Check it out:
[forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2008 04:06PM by Wade.
November 10, 2008 07:12PM
When I ran the message in konsole, this is what I got. I do not think it worked.
"
To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo ".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ dmsesg | grep tty
bash: dmsesg: command not found
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
"

Also I think my power supply is broken. The lights are flickering really fast. I can get my pwm driver to work, but the stepper tester does not work. Do you know where I can get another pc power supply?
November 10, 2008 11:19PM
Oops, I mistyped it the second time. The command is spelled dmesg, not dsmesg. Sorry.

Where are you? Around here in Toronto, there are discarded old PC's in the alleyways, free power supplies everywhere. Even saw one on the train tracks yesterday, but it had been hit by the train allready. smiling smiley Or you can buy one at Active Surplus for $5, which is where I got mine.

Wade
November 17, 2008 09:21PM
Where can I find Active Surplus? (webpage or something?)
November 20, 2008 08:11PM
Assuming you're in Toronto, it's on 345 Queen St. You're in for a treat if you haven't been there before - check it out!

Here's a link:

[www.google.ca]

If you're not in Toronto, you'll have to find a local equivalent. Can't help you there.

Wade
November 21, 2008 10:20AM
Wow, I'd forgotten about Active Surplus. I used to work at a shop just down the street - probably long gone now. That was back in the early 80s. Good to know Active Surplus is still alive and well, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login