Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for swing...

Posted by Ross 
Looking for swing...
November 05, 2008 04:45PM
Greetings guys,

Long story, but believe I need a java component to allow the Reprap host software to work.

I have encountered the error;
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
when attempting to run the reprap-host-20080523.zip sowtware on a Win98 machine.

From the blog post;
[blog.reprap.org]
it identifies an extra component swing-layout-1.0.3.jar but the source mentioned 'http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/org/swinglabs/swing-layout/1.0.3/swing-layout-1.0.3.jar' no longer exists.

I downloaded the last version of swing (swing103.zip) from the Sun archive but it does not have this component (only swing.jar).

Can someone please either send me this component or let me know where I can download this?
Re: Looking for swing...
November 05, 2008 04:59PM
I did not know there were still versions of Java that ran on Wind98. Which version of Java are you using?

To answer your question swing-layout is not part of swing, it is an extension to swing. It can be found at [swing-layout.dev.java.net].
November 05, 2008 06:38PM
I was able to download jre-1_5_0_16-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe from the Sun archive. When I tried to use the current one (jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe) it reports 'unsuitable for this OS'.

I am using j3d-1_5_2-windows-i586.zip and it 'seems' to work ok but I have been tearing my hair out for the last few weeks with this last error.

I have the Reprap host working on my work machine under XP but I can not leave that attached to the Reprap at home.

I found that page earlier but I can not find anything to download from it. Do I need to use another page?

PS: As you can see from the versions quoted I am only using the JRE as I am not interested in modifying the code so I am limited to getting compiled version not source code.
November 05, 2008 07:48PM
Ross

I agree the 'downloads' section is not very clear, but it is there, try the 'documents and files' option on the left hand side

Alternately you could try downloading it from the reprap svn repository [reprap.svn.sourceforge.net] not sure what version it is
Thanks xsainnz, I downloaded it from the svn site.

Only problem now is that the error message still persists.

The instructions on this indicates I need to place this in the ...\lib\ext directory which I have done. It also indicates I need to include this in my CLASSPATH variable which I believe I have done.

Interestingly, I do not need a CLASSPATH variable for all the other jar files to be loaded and produce this message. I would have thought if the CLASSPATH was required then it would have complained about all the other classes it could not find.

If I open the swing-layout file it clearly has the GroupLayout$Group object that the error reports yet it does not seem to be loaded/recognised.

I have also moved both Java and Reprap directories into the root of C: suspecting that I would encounter the 'spaces in filenames' issue with it installing to 'Program Files' but to no avail.

I am becomming increasingly frustrated with Java, it looks a mess, installs as a mess and it seems you need to hold your tongue to the right, stand on your left leg with both arms raised and pray to your primary deity to get any of this to work.

Can someone please tell me what was the last version of the Reprap software that actually worked on Windows 98 and the java versions this works with?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login