Advanced

Host Help requested by Java beginner

Posted by emt 
emt
Host Help requested by Java beginner
November 21, 2008 07:50AM
Hi

I use Windows XP

I have been using Eclipse and getting the latest version of the host from the repository. I confess I understand little of what I am doing as I am just following some helpful information in the forum parrot fashion and up until recently all seemed well.

The JRE system library is jre1.5.0_15

I have just checked out the latest version and thought that every thing was OK apart from three messages:-

[java] GenericStepperMotor - dud axis id: 88
[java] GenericStepperMotor - dud axis id: 89
[java] GenericStepperMotor - dud axis id: 90

However I have just read Adrian's blog from the 7th of November that has a screen shot of the Bot Console shown also in the instructions here:-
[dev.www.reprap.org]

My Bot Console has only 4 buttons and is missing a number of controls from the window.

In the past when this sort of thing has happened I have had exception errors and have tracked down the issue but this time I am at a loss.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how I can discover why I have a different console display. Is it be related to the Java version I am using or maybe the download?
Or could I have a wrong component in my Eclipse set up?
Any help greatly appreciated as I would like to try the latest G code generation contained in the host.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2008 02:19PM by Ian Eagland.

Regards

Ian
Re: Host Help requested by Java beginner
November 21, 2008 09:53AM
I saw the "dud axis" messages too. It seems to be in GenericRepRap.loadMotors(). It's creating three NullStepperMotor objects like this:

motorX = new NullStepperMotor('X');
motorY = new NullStepperMotor('Y');
motorZ = new NullStepperMotor('Z');

The problem is that NullStepperMotor superclass GenericStepperMotor is expecting an integer that's either 1,2 or 3 (for x,y and z). I found I could get rid of those messages if I changed the code to:

motorX = new NullStepperMotor(1);
motorY = new NullStepperMotor(2);
motorZ = new NullStepperMotor(3);

I also noticed that the latest reprap.properties.dist has a stray semicolon on the InterLayerCooling line. That got copied over to my reprap.properties file and the only way to fix it was to edit reprap.properties by hand.
November 21, 2008 12:40PM
Correction: Both GenericRepRap and Simulator have this problem.
November 21, 2008 02:17PM
I was going to tidy this up when I did a bunch of janatorial updates recently, but Adrian said that he was going to rewrite/remove that bit so there was no need.

David
emt
November 22, 2008 04:32AM
Many thanks.

That fixed the error message.

However I still have the real problem outlined earlier in that my Bot Console has a number of buttons missing and I have no idea why.

Any clues anybody?

Regards

Ian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login