Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Autodesk

Posted by Ryan 
Autodesk
December 23, 2008 11:31PM
Could you use an engineering modeling software like Autodesk Inventor instead of AOI?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

~Ryan
Re: Autodesk
December 23, 2008 11:46PM
Yes. Several people here are doing just that.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
December 24, 2008 06:32AM
I regularly use SolidWorks. I find it much better than Inventor.

Demented
December 25, 2008 04:08AM
I use Alibre Design.
December 25, 2008 10:06AM
I use AOI! smiling bouncing smiley

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
December 25, 2008 05:09PM
I *HATE* AOI...no offense Forrest. :-)

Demented
December 25, 2008 05:51PM
Demented Chihuahua Wrote:
> I *HATE* AOI...no offense Forrest. :-)
>
LOL! Your privilege. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Thomas A. Edison
BRL-CAD for me...
December 26, 2008 12:09PM
Bah. BRL-CAD for me. Even will let me tag regions with information specifically for the machine. Working on making it spit out G-code for a part itself, too...

And the main interface isn't one of these silly GUI-centric things. (Although there is a project to make a new front-end that is).
January 02, 2009 04:09PM
I use Solid Works as well. I'm not at the point of having a working machine yet though, hopefully in the next week or so though!
solidworks
January 23, 2009 11:26PM
hey, are the 3d models available for download? or a drawing with dimensions... i would gladly upload the solidworks models i have or make if someone can direct me to the models on here if they exist
January 24, 2009 06:51AM
I use Rhino, but I want to change to solidworks (got a free school edition)

3d models: [objects.reprap.org]
CAD
February 19, 2009 06:13AM
I would appreciate feedback on this issue of 3D modelling. I understand that most in the RepRap community have an engineering bias and therefore have little problem with most CAD packages. I come from the arts/applied arts/design direction where CAD is not the intuitive medium that inspires and motivates to learn and to work digitally in 3D. Speaking for myself it was hard work to get to grips with AutoCAD. Rhino was easier but I had to come with fully fledged designs worked through drawings and rough models.

What I would like is a response to the 3D conceptualisation software we are developing exploiting the benefits that haptics (virtual touch/force feedback) gives to work more fluidly in 3D. If you are willing to comment on what we have achieved so far please have a look at the short video at [www.anarkikangels.co.uk].
Many thanks.
VDX
February 19, 2009 01:19PM
Hi Ann Marie,

for 3D-constructing and modelling i mostly use Lightwave (what's more like building with bricks) or 3DSMAX (more playing with additive filters and procedures).

Some years ago i tried with a FF-joystick, what's not so really intuitive for modelling - maybe the FF-tripod is better suitable.

My ideas in the direction of manipulation and feedback were based on interactive data-gloves with piezo-pads in the finger-tips for simulating forces and 3D-video-googles for displaying the 3D-world.

I remember DIY-data-gloves with glass-fibres as finger-bending-sensors for 150 USD some 10 years ago, i have some Elsa-Revelator 3D-goggles and piezo-transducers aren't so expensive any more.

But you need the drivers and some serious hacking to combine all the single components for a interactive 3D-simulator - here is the most promising way for me ...

Viktor
February 20, 2009 09:15AM
secvaHello Viktor,

Thank you for your reply. Very interesting. In our original research we investigated the different methods to get haptic feedback. The interactive data-gloves with piezo-pads in the finger-tips for simulating forces were at too early a stage and do not provide the force feedback that added the qualitative elements that came out as important on one of our studies (see www2.eca.ac.uk/tacitus). We do use 3D shutter glasses for stereovision, and co-location for those 3D tasks that require this for better usability - the best interactive set up that we provide for use with our bespoke software. But these components add up to expensive systems and we want our sketch/modelling system for artists and designers to be affordable! Hence using a haptic device mass produced for the games market which gives 3 Degrees of Freedom and force feedback to feel the hardness, form/3D-ness of objects being created for our main applications for sketch/modelling.

Ann Marie
February 20, 2009 10:15AM
I've used any number of 3D modeling apps and written a few over the years. We had both 3D mice and shutter glasses back in the 1990's on Sun Sparc workstations in Hong Kong. The cost of that sort of configuration was so intense, however, that I never seriously considered writing an app at that time.

On the Reprap project I stay exclusively with Art of Illusion though I have access to Autodesk Inventor. I am currently leveraging the milling and printing capability acquired with Reprap to undertake a telerobotics project employing pneumatic artificial muscles.

Currently, rather than employing data gloves, I am looking at using something like the system developed by Nagata, et al. "Development of the Master Hand for Grasping Information Capturing".

hand01.pdf

I expect to use some sort of vibrating motor feedback to deal with haptics requirements.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 10:18AM by Forrest Higgs.

Thomas A. Edison
VDX
February 23, 2009 04:06AM
... i think the easiest/cheapest haptic device could be some sort of "joy-string" - a 'stick-in-a-box' where two string-tripods are atached to both ends of a stick.

Look here: [forums.reprap.org] (the first atached image) or Alex Jonis tripod: [wiki.linuxcnc.org]

When combining rotary encoders and servos you can apply FF too, so it would be relatively easy to build a 6DOF-FF-joystick.

Somewhere i noticed a newly announced 3D-LCD-screen for about 500 Euros where you'll use passive POL-goggles - so a high-res 3D-visualization is possible too again.

But it's the APP what makes the difference ...

Viktor
February 23, 2009 07:46AM
VDX Wrote:
>
> Somewhere i noticed a newly announced
> 3D-LCD-screen for about 500 Euros where you'll use
> passive POL-goggles - so a high-res
> 3D-visualization is possible too again.
>

Viktor: If you find the link to this again, I would appreciate it if you would let me know. Thanks.

Thomas A. Edison
VDX
February 23, 2009 07:58AM
Hi Forrest,

here is one link: [www.iz3d.com]

Viktor
February 26, 2009 04:50PM
Forrest, here is the setup from nVidia. [www.nvidia.com] The support monitors are under the Specifications tab.

Jeremy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login