Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Host Software not right

Posted by thatguy 
Host Software not right
June 15, 2009 05:13PM
I am using sanguino board with gen 2 electronics, and all my firmware tests are fine. The host software says my temp is 290, then 255 celcius whether or not my board is plugged in. When I do the firmware test on the thermistor (using the serial values and such) it gives me the right temperature. Adding to the mystery is the fact that I can move the motors around as I please, so it's not the connection. Any ideas?
Re: Host Software not right
June 15, 2009 06:01PM
Hi,

On Host software I'd recommend to turn on "CommsDebug". That way you can see if your host software is the problem or the firmeware or hardware is it.
Did you check if the pin configuration is correct?

On your stepper board - do all the LED light up? Have you adjusted the trimpot?
June 15, 2009 07:13PM
It sounds an awful lot like your pin configuration is wrong. Have a look at the pins.h file you're programming the sanguino with, and double check it's right, and there are no collisions with other functions. Remember the pin numbering doesn't correspond with the physical chip's packaging.
June 16, 2009 05:26AM
Depending on the firmware you're using, the firmware (and java interface) becomes unresponsive when the extruder is heating up and hasn't reached the right temperature yet. This blocks reception of new commands. That might be what you're experiencing. Turning on debugging is certainly a good idea to start understanding what is happening and what should be happening.

In the latest (5D) firmware this heating is not blocking any more.

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
June 16, 2009 12:26PM
My pin config was wrong, but it's still giving me the wrong temp. Also, I tried to move a stepper motor and it went red, is that pins again? I changed commsdebug to true but then I didn't know what to do (I'm new at this...)

Also, what's trimpot?

the firmware I'm using is the 1.3 is that not the latest?
June 16, 2009 01:04PM
Are you using the low variable? You have analogRead and digitalRead. DigitalRead should be with pins numbered above 23 (keep counting up), whereas analog pins start at 0. They overlap, so you can use them digitally or as analog, by adressing the different numbers they each have.

You should see if you have active high/low set correctly for STEP and EN(able). Otherwise you will get weird behaviour.

Using the test sketches, or writing my own test-sketches has always helped me figure out these kinds of problems (and I've had quite some).

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
June 16, 2009 04:57PM
How do I check to see if the active high/low is set correctly?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login