Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Easy way to print 2D scale views of parts?

Posted by Triffid_Hunter 
Easy way to print 2D scale views of parts?
October 18, 2009 10:59PM
I'm wondering if there's an easy way to print out 2D views of various parts at 1:1 scale, so I can glue the print-out to some wood and cut the part out to get my repstrap on? Have poked around in both AoI and blender but haven't found such an option yet.
Re: Easy way to print 2D scale views of parts?
October 19, 2009 12:18AM
That's something that's usually done with CAD software, as opposed to animation software. If you find a way to do it with a reasonably priced package, I'd love to hear about it.
October 19, 2009 01:16AM
I used InkScape and Skeinforge.
I used Skeinforge Carve tool to slice the STL and
Opened up the file in InkScape,
Print and done.

(InkScape has serious problems with scaling that you need to keep a close eye on)
October 19, 2009 07:46AM
Windows users can get 2D dimensioned drawings out CoCreate Personal Edition if you have the step or iges files.

I did it recently to make a drilling template that matched a 3D part I had designed. It puts crosses on the centres of holes in the 2D drawing, so it is perfect for drilling.

Getting it to be 1:1 was a bit tricky. I think there is a bug in the plot dialog. If I set it to scale and left the default value 1 it just did scale to fit. If I actually type the 1 it works.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 19, 2009 09:18AM
I could try to draw the Mendel parts. It's not too difficult with SolidWorks.

(Let me know if you prefer Letter [8.5"x11"] or A4 paper, by the way. This is letter)

Here's a test file.
Attachments:
open | download - y-idler-bracket_1off.PDF (29.6 KB)
October 19, 2009 04:08PM
I would be extremely interested in this. Some of the parts look much more complicated than the Darwin ones, with holes drilled at strange angles and such. I'm not sure that a Mendel based repstrap is practical.

Barney.

Oak & Silicon
October 20, 2009 11:09AM
[homepage.ntlworld.com] <-- this PDF, page 73 onwards seems to have a good way to do it. unfortunately, blender doesn't run too well on my laptop or I'd try it now.

this should probably be compulsory reading for anyone modelling reprappables in blender
October 22, 2009 09:27PM
Looks good, Triffid_Hunter. This could be such a boon to repstrappers. Why hasn't this been done yet and put on the wiki?

I wonder if I could print this out on clay coated paper and iron the toner right onto say some white cutting boards for drilling and stock removal?

I prefer letter, being in the US.
October 22, 2009 09:28PM
sorry,
Thanks jbayless, looks good.
October 22, 2009 11:56PM
pica: dunno if that would work.. toner transfer works by melting the toner, so your chopping block would probably melt too.. if you want to try anyway, glossy magazine paper is far more available and has pretty much the same effect.

I'd just glue the paper on and cut through it
VDX
October 23, 2009 03:16AM
... look here: [dev.forums.reprap.org] ... especially at the atached image in my 3rd post: [dev.forums.reprap.org]

With paperwork you can make some really complex 3D-parts out of 2D-sheets ...

Viktor
October 23, 2009 07:27AM
looks similar to blender's UV unwrap function mentioned elsewhere in that tutorial, could work very nicely especially for stuff with odd angles
October 23, 2009 08:18PM
>glossy magazine paper is far more available and has pretty much the same effect.

Yes, we're on the same page :-)
glossy slick magazine paper is almost always "clay coated"

I used to be a short-run digital press operator. Look up the "pica" in the dictionary and you'll see my points. All 12 of them :-)

(for the record, I also like spicy food :-)

>toner transfer works by melting the toner, so your chopping block would probably melt too

I googled up HDPE and LDPE and polyethylene (what toner is made out of) They are close, but I believe that the toner is made of a type of polyester that is meant to melt at a lower temperature for the range of polyester types. Clearly some experimentation is in order. My other concern here is that the toner sticks. We don't even need 100% coverage because we are not etching copper.
October 24, 2009 04:42AM
If you think it would be helpful, don't forget to put up the pdfs for the wooden cut diagrams up on the wiki:
[objects.reprap.org]

I've seen a lot of interest in wooden mendels lately, it may be worth documenting that pathway to reprapping.
November 03, 2009 11:43AM
There are differences between the stls and how you'd make them from solid stock. The stls' holes have greater clearance, and I found that the Mendel corner brackets are asymmetric, which isn't apparent or marked, so it mustn't have been deliberate, but could cause difficulties in assembly. Even cheap commercial CAD makes this sort of analysis and printing so much easier.
What an excelent way of creating a repstap
November 03, 2009 06:17PM
Hi

Sorry to go slightly off topic

But what an excellent way of creating a repstrap.

1) Download a PDF and print it.
2) Buy some wood
3) Cut out the paper template and stick on wood.
4) Use a Jig saw and pillar drill to it out

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

regards

Stephen
Re: What an excelent way of creating a repstap
November 04, 2009 06:51AM
Not quite that simple, as barney noted, but certainly possible I believe.. perhaps we'll need paper templates that stick onto the faces of cuts made from other parts of the template or something.

Some of mendel's parts require cuts that simply don't lend themselves to a stick-on cutting guide, and will require either a slight re-design or a multi-stage approach or possibly both.

I'm going to have a good play with blender's uv unwrap feature as soon as I have my desktop machine back up to speed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login