Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

uploading sanguino firmware

Posted by John 
uploading sanguino firmware
December 10, 2009 08:21AM
Hi,

I am having difficulty uploading the sanguino firmware to motherboard v1.2 with arudino using stk500v2. I keep on getting

avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

I ended up loading the bootloader and setting the h/l/e/fuse using avrdude. Is there anyway to compile the hex file using arduino so I can upload the hex file via avrdude instead of through ardruino. I tried the command line arduino complie method given by [arduino.cc] but ran into undeclared functions.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Re: uploading sanguino firmware
December 10, 2009 02:33PM
Hi John

You should only have to upload the bootstap firmware once which you have done using avrdude.

Having the stk500v2 supported at a bootloader upload device in the arduino IDE for the stk500v2 is something you will have to research. But since you have the bootstrap on the chip already not something that is critical to using the normal sketches.
December 11, 2009 02:54AM
Hi Fred,

It's been a while since I last used the STK500. . .it's the serial version. It works with avrdude but unfortunately not with arduino ide or at least none that I can find online. I tried running the reprap host software and it too was looking for an avr isp on usb. Anyway, I just orderd a usb stk500. While I wait for it to arrive, is there anyway I can test my stepper driver and extruder board?

Thanks,
December 11, 2009 04:55PM
Do you have the USB serial cable? If so after you have uploaded the boot strap which it sounds like you have done, you do future programming via the serial cable.

The boot strap takes the following steps:

1. Starts up and blinks the led in a pattern indicating ready to load new program.
2. Goes into a wait loop looking for new code coming in via the serial port. If it receives new code it loads it into the flash memory and start executing it (note the flash memory can wear out after 1000 cycles of loading new programs).
3. If no new program is received before timeout it executes the last program/sketch that was flashed to memory.
December 16, 2009 04:34AM
I still have no luck communicating with my reprap motherboard v1.2. I can use avrdude to communicate with the m644p but I am still getting the

avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

error when I use Arduino IDE. I think maybe I am not configuring my arduino IDE correctly but maybe I didn't solder the board correctly? Is there any test procedure to make sure I solder the board correctly? Is the ATX power supply suppose to turn on when I turn on the motherboard V1.2?

If the main ATX power mainswitch is on and I press the reset button I get 3 short flash follow by 1 short flash on the red debug LED. However, I can not turn on the ATX power supply, ie get the fan to power up and the 12V pins to supply power, with the reprap motherboard v1.2 on/off switch. Did I solder the board incorrectly?
emt
December 16, 2009 04:46AM
Hi

The info you need is here.

[www.arduino.cc]

Works for me using ISP so should be OK for you and the stk500.

Regards

Ian
December 16, 2009 04:56AM
Wow! It powered up. I experimented with different baudrate with avrdude and ended up adding the following line to my arduino board.txt file.

sanguino.upload.speed=115200

The firmware uploaded and I was able to power on the ATX power supply with the motherboard on/off switch.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login