Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Great Cow BASIC

Posted by Forrest Higgs 
Great Cow BASIC
October 18, 2007 10:58AM
I've been a satisfied user of Oshonsoft BASIC IDE for well over a year. It's got a great IDE and emulator and does what it is supposed to do for Pic 10F-18F chips. It also works for ATMega and several other types of microcontrollers.

The downside for open source types is that it costs you about $80. It also, more importantly, doesn't run on Linux. Thus, two major mindsets find Oshonsoft BASIC unacceptable. LOL! Mind, I'm leaving out the C language fanatics who just loathe BASIC on general principle. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The upside is that you'll find 50 people who have done rudimentary BASIC programming for every C language person out there.

This morning, I was notified that there is a reasonably good open source BASIC compiler and IDE out there that works for Pic 10F-18F chips.

[gcbasic.sourceforge.net]

It comes in both Windows and Linux releases.

I've been to the website for the project. Preliminary observations are that the sample programmes are very sparse and that nobody has got around to writing a bootloader for it. Neither of those lacks should be particularly difficult to remedy.

I'll be downloading and trying it out in the next few weeks.

BTW, for anybody who has ideas of trying Great Cow out, you can download things from the "Getting Started" page. The Downloads page links don't seem to be working today. Looks like this lot puts their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us. eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2007 11:03AM by Forrest Higgs.
Re: Great Cow BASIC
November 13, 2007 03:15PM
GCB does work nice but remember if its in the folder documents and settings the spaces mess with it also I have not seen a linux binrary or code for gcb
Re: Great Cow BASIC
November 14, 2007 10:19PM
The current developer is looking for people that can do native linux builds of the GCB tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login