Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie Arduino questions

Posted by scanboy 
Newbie Arduino questions
December 14, 2011 01:41PM
I'm trying to decide on electronics and I'm looking for the cheapest options. I've come across this where it tells you how to wire the arduino, it looks to me that an arduino Uno has all the pins that's needed, but I've search the forum not a single post about using Uno with a reprap, so here are my questions:
1. Can Uno be use along with 3 stepper controller and a DC motor controller to make reprap work?
2. Also from the same link, those opto end stops and temperature sensor, I can connect those directly to the Uno? if so, why is that the Uno is not being use as much? I understand that Uno has limited I/O pins, but if I'm not looking to upgrade anything, Uno will do fine right?
3. Assuming Uno will work, I just need to feed G-code through the USB port to print something right?

Thanks in advance
Re: Newbie Arduino questions
December 14, 2011 02:28PM
The Sanguino was created because the Uno and similar are running short on pins as the 3D printers and firmware got more features.

Go with the Sanguinololu if you want cheaper.

Roy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 02:30PM by royco.
December 15, 2011 05:43AM
Gen7 can be even cheaper if you do more more yourself. Sorry for the shameless plug.

To 3: Yes. It's the firmware (FiveD, Teacup, Sprinter, Marlin, etc.) interpreting the G-code and creating step pulses as required.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 15, 2011 09:57AM
royco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Sanguino was created because the Uno and
> similar are running short on pins as the 3D
> printers and firmware got more features.
>
> Go with the Sanguinololu if you want cheaper.
>
> Roy

Thanks, I looked at Sanguinololu, nice package, might just go with that. One question though, will I still need this:

or do I just need the sensor part with the two wires and connect it directly to the sanguinololu?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 09:57AM by scanboy.
December 15, 2011 10:37AM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gen7 can be even cheaper if you do more more
> yourself. Sorry for the shameless plug.
>
haha no problem at all, but I can't seem to find pricing info on Gen7, if you could, give me list of products you have available + pricing.
I want to try and source all the electronics parts from 1 source, so if you have others like thermistor or endstop etc. let me know.

> To 3: Yes. It's the firmware (FiveD, Teacup,
> Sprinter, Marlin, etc.) interpreting the G-code
> and creating step pulses as required.
December 16, 2011 06:06AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login