Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what electronics should i use?

Posted by thegeekguy 
what electronics should i use?
January 13, 2012 07:55AM
i know there are a few kinds, and i'm also a little confused. i've see arduino based electronics, cnc based electronics, and STAMPS. i would just like to know the pros cons, how much a set will cost(i'm a student so cheap is good), and what software can be used with them. i'm not good at electrical but i'm willing to learn. Thanks!
Re: what electronics should i use?
January 13, 2012 08:12AM
Try the wiki "Comparison of Electronics".

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 13, 2012 02:44PM
well, this is my first build, and i don't know which components would be best, it looks like sanguinololu, but i heard there was pololu problems
January 14, 2012 03:48PM
I have been using the RAMPS board on my recent robots and I must say they are really easy to use. The Pololu drivers are cheap and easy to fit and because they are separate from the board simple to replace should you damage one. Working with the Arduino to upload and modify firmware is also straightforward.

I go for the built up boards as I am not very good at soldering and wouldn't attempt surface mount technology as my hands are too shaky! If this is your first build I would suggest you go for the built up boards, its one less headache.

Cost is as follows:-
Arduino Mega £21.90. (I use the clone ones of eBay and have had no issues)
RAMPS board £47.96
Pololu Boards £9.25 each (You need 4) (I have also used clone boards that I found OK)

Total £106.86

Buying them together you can get discounts, for example Reprapworld does them all for 100 euro (about £83) which does seem like a pretty good deal to me.

Of course you can build it yourself for less.

I would be interested in any opinions about the Sanguinololu boards as these look a neat solution also.
February 07, 2012 01:48AM
[reprap.org] it is good to go.

Extractor Fans
February 07, 2012 03:11AM

Arduino Mega £21.90.
RAMPS board £47.96
Pololu Boards £9.25 each

Total £106.86

Gen7 board & Components & Connectors: € 53.-
StepSticks: 4x € 7.85
E'go USB-TTL: € 3.50
Shipping: € 5.-

Total: € 92.90 or £ 72.-

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 07, 2012 08:22AM
i have seen people saying that ramps is the best solution for the first time.

well the gen7 is cheap.
ramps is a bit pricey.
sanguinololu is also cheap.
r2c2 is the cutting edge set but comes at a hefty price tag!!
February 08, 2012 04:40AM
The 3 main contenders (in my eyes) are the RAMPS, Sanguinololu and Gen 7.

RAMPS, costs a bit more but is the most modular. The non re-usable part of the board is only about 1/3 of the overall cost.
Sanguinololu, is like one of the older RAMPS without the S. Cheap and a good choice for a starter board.
Gen 7, is the Gen boards meets Sanguinololu. The only trouble with Gen 7 is its still a WIP and can't be brought assembled (without you get lucky and someone is willing to give up there DIY'd one).

Just another piece of advise, steer clear of RepRapWorld for RAMPS boards and as of recently (I got a comment on my blog) filament. They don't use the 24pin headers for the steppers, instead they try to use 3x 8pin headers which don't fit correctly (the only way to insert the headers is to file them...very dangerous) and allows each one to sit differently. The DIY kit even varies on the size of the LED's in my kit they replaced the red 0805 led's with 0603's which are considerably harder to solder.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
February 08, 2012 04:50AM

The non re-usable part of the [RAMPS] board is only about 1/3 of the overall cost.

This pretty much applies for Sanguinololu and Gen7 as well. True, for replacing these you throw away the entire board, but the ATmega and the stepper drivers are about the only costly things on it.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login