Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Server Power Supply?

Posted by shardbearer 
Server Power Supply?
February 29, 2012 11:30AM
So, I found a couple old servers at my dad's work, and they have massive power supplies, meant for mounting on racks. Should I use one of these, or just a normal ATX power supply? What's the minimum requirements? I have a 1050W, 660W, 250W, and 140W. +12V currents are 66A, 36A, 14A and 5A respectively. The first 2 are multiple power supplies joined together (I think in parallel) onto one board, is that ok? Those have connectors that look somewhat like [zone.ni.com] but adapters to standard ATX connectors, just a lot more of them.

Edit: Just found another 660W, identical to the first. What should I do with all these?

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 03:39PM by shardbearer.
Re: Server Power Supply?
February 29, 2012 12:56PM

What should I do with all these?

Build many Mendels. A RepRap typically needs 1.5 amps per stepper motor, 3 amps for the extruder and 12 amps for the heated bed (if you have one). All on the 12V rail, some electronics also need a small current on the 5V rail as well.

Edit 2: How do I link?

Do type the link. Do not write brackets when doing so.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: Server Power Supply?
March 01, 2012 04:46PM
I am running my prusa from a server power supply. You'll have to do a little work to ensure it powers up correctly (just like you would for an ATX supply). Mine runs very well, if a little noisily - the fan could do with a speed-dropping resistor.

Some details here: forums.reprap.org/read.php?2,111066
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login