Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors stutter, no movement

Posted by 13asilis 
Motors stutter, no movement
May 05, 2012 11:49AM
Hi guys,
So I've finally managed to put together pretty much everything hardware-wise and wired up all the motors and stepsticks! (I'm using the RepRapWorld.com Ramps 1.4 DIY kit with 5 Stepsticks)

The connection is established, I can connect to the printer with Pronterface (Im using Sprinter firmware). The problem is that I can't move any of the motors ... When I try to move XYZ or E the motors don't turn, but somehow they try to move in both directions at once, kickind and stuttering (no matter what the speed is set to).

I've searched all over the web for the past 2 days, I think I tried pretty much everything I could imagine:
- Adjusting the potentiometers of the stepsticks, tried all positions, no differnce whatsoever
- I thought that the wires are wired up the wrong way, because it sounded like the coils were fighting each other (I have these motors: [www.aliexpress.com]) so wiring should be as follows:
Blue:B- // Red: A+ // Green:A- // Yellow:B+ (I've also tried Blue/Green/Red/Yellow)
either way, same result; motors just stutter and don't move
- The endstops are connected, tried reversing them (false/true) and canceling them out in the firmware, nothing

The funny thing is that sometimes, the motors started turning (quite fast), but the movement seemed random, can't recreate it if I wanted to

Oh and one of my stepsticks seems to be broken, I didn't fiddle with them at all, just didn't get any signal from the motor connected to that stepstick, what could be wrong there?

I'm using an ATX Powersupply, with a 12V 15A output, I simply cut off the 4-pin connector (the 2 yellow and the 2 black wires) and screwed it into the screw terminals, also connected a fan to D10 because the Stepsticks were running quite hot during testing (although the have heatsinks) - not sure whether i connected the Power supply right, but since I can get the motors to at least react, I'm guessing yes.

I'm at a loss, tried everything i could find! Any suggestions?

regards
Re: Motors stutter, no movement
May 05, 2012 01:13PM
You have wired the motors incorrectly. Should be red green yellow blue. If it goes the wrong way swap red and green.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 05, 2012 01:34PM
Oh god I feel so stupid ... I thought I had tried pretty much every cable configuration... thank you so much, it works now!!!! Was about to go crazy grinning smiley

You will probably be hearing more from me soon, I suppose the problems don't stop there!

Thanks again smiling smiley
May 05, 2012 01:53PM
It is a common mistake due to the drivers using A and B to mean each end of the same coil and most motors using A and B to mean each coil.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 07, 2012 11:12AM
Ok, Hi again - next problem:
Everything is hooked up and working as it should, axis move fine (except for the Y-axis, the motor driver wasnt working there) and the extruder is heating up and working as it should (already extruded a few mm's of PLA).

I've hooked up my heated bed (MKI from reprapworld.com) soldered everything on including the thermistor, but I have a problem: hooked up the thermistor to T1, but it reads very weird temperatures (~100C° at room temperature) .. so I thought the thermistor tables were configured wrong in the firmware (I'm using this 100k thermistor [reprapworld.com]), so I have it set to
#define THERMISTORBED 1
But I even tried every other setting (from 1 to 7), always the wrong temperature at T1, in fact it doesn't even matter if the thermistor is connected, it always reads about 100 or 110C° ... I tried connecting the working thermistor from T0 to T1 and the non working to T0 -> T1 again reads about 100C° and T0 reads room temperature but doesn't go up when i try heating the nozzle, although it gets hot ...
Last thing I've tried is switching the heated bed thermistor to T2 (and switching the pins in pins.h, it now reads about 74C°, no matter what I do ...

Any suggestions?

I'm using the latest Sprinter firmware + Pronterface on a Ramps 1.4 board!
May 10, 2012 07:21AM
Any ideas? can't get it to read the right temperature .. sad smiley
VDX
May 10, 2012 07:42AM
... recheck your pin wirings or selected board/controller.

You can test the function with a 100k-potentiometer or some resistors with different values ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 12, 2012 04:59AM
ok thanks VDX, I've figured it out:
first of all, the pins on T1 and T2 weren't working due to sloppy soldering (no contact on one of the pins)
and second of all:
the weirdest thing ever; I had the Ramps screwed down on piece of wood with rubber pieces in between (with metal screws and nuts), I had previously tested the temperature after resoldering and it worked fine with nothing connected and not screwed down. But (as I found out after going a little bit crazy) the problem seemed to be the screw near the lower right corner (near the 8 pins where the SD-Ramps is supposed to go) as soon as I tightened the nut just a little bit, the temperature would go up by about 20°C, as soon as it was loose it would read the right temperature. Same thing with a zip tie: tightened: wrong temperature, loose: right temperature ... I solved it by just zip tie-ing the Arduino, not the shield and the Arduino, works fine now!
Seems unexplainable to me though :/
But thanks for the help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login