Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help with a side project I am working on. Help with a simple circuit.

Posted by SCphotog 
Need help with a side project I am working on. Help with a simple circuit.
December 28, 2008 09:26PM
I am working on a custom computer case for my buddy as a surprise gift for when he returns home from Iraq. He is a big gamer and I have been building him a gaming computer over the last few months. I am almost finished with the case and now need a way to control the fans. Instead of buying an off the shelf and over priced rheobus I decided to build one that would fit my needs. The simple circuit for the voltage control using a lm317t, 300 ohm resistor, 240 ohm resistor and a 2.2k trim pot was easy. What I am having a problem with is figuring out how to make an RGB led light up a different color at a supplied voltage. IE: red at 3 volts, blue at 7 volts and green at 12 volts. Can anyone help me with the circuit design? I am going to build this on perf board so no need to generate any pcb designs in eagle or anything. A simple schematic will suffice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2008 09:27PM by SCphotog.
Re: Need help with a side project I am working on. Help with a simple circuit.
December 28, 2008 10:18PM
I can't draw you a circuit but if you google for LM339 comparator I'm sure you'll find plenty. A comparator "compares" two voltages and "when Vin exceeds Vref, output switches from LOW to HIGH." Which is a quote from a Forrest Mims book from 1985. Comparators are still in use today.
VDX
December 29, 2008 10:11AM
... look for "window-comparator" (e.g. "Fensterdiskriminator" in german) or something similar - it's essential two combined comparators in one IC with two adjustable switching levels so you'll have your desired behaviour: - below first voltage-level <-> between first and second v-level <-> above second v-level ...

Viktor
December 29, 2008 02:12PM
This should do it: -

It uses a quad comparator LM139. The input voltage is divided by 2 and compared to half reference voltages because the max input voltage is Vs-1.5V.

It makes use of the fact that the forward voltage of a red led is less than blue when the voltage is between 3V and 7V so only the red lights.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 30, 2008 12:52PM
Thanks nophead.

I posted this questions over on 2 other electronics forums I frequent and got vastly complex answers. Yours was by far the simplest and cheapest way to go. I even had one guy suggest that I use an arduino to control a simple tri color led. I knew it was not as hard as they made it seem. I will be sure to post a photo of the finished product when its ready.
December 30, 2008 01:54PM
Just to be sure I understood your requirements correctly: the circuit will do the following

0-3V all leds off
3-7V red
7-12v blue
>12V green

Your fan supply would have to be more than 12V to ensure the green lights.

December 30, 2008 07:18PM
I noticed that. I dont want to run the fans over 12V. Can the Circuit be modified to do the following?

0-3V red

3-7V blue

7-12V Green?
December 30, 2008 07:38PM
Yes lose the bottom comparator and connect the reference pins on the other three one resistor lower in the chain of resistors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login