DRV8825 vs DRV8824
June 10, 2013 06:00PM
Hey all,

I was recently looking up info about the DRV8825 to answer a question and I spied this: [www.pololu.com]. It's the DRV8824, a lower current version of DRV8825. What intrigued me was this: "...it has larger current-sense resistors that allow for improved microstepping performance at low currents." My electrical motor control knowledge is minimal, so I was wondering: what exactly does this mean? Smoother motion? Better repeatability? Marketing drivel?

I'm slowly building up the parts to build a delta robot to replace my Prusa, and I planned on switching to the 8825 at some point for the increased microstepping for quieter motion. I was curious if the 8824 would work better in a delta. My uninformed reasoning was that since there is so much less mass to move the extra amperage/torque wouldn't be necessary, but possibly more repeatable/controlled microstepping would result in smoother motion and prints.

Thanks in advance!
Re: DRV8825 vs DRV8824
June 10, 2013 06:21PM
I guess it means that the current sensing has a higher resolution but a lower range. That would mean it can achieve better control of low currents.

So it sounds plausible, but could still be marketing bs smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login