Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to get replacement gen 2 electronics?

Posted by letsburn00 
Where to get replacement gen 2 electronics?
April 21, 2009 07:12AM
I've just blown one of my generator 2 stepper boards. Does anyone know how I can get a replacement board? Now the rrrf has stopped making new boards, makerbot only sells gen 3. since the gen 3 connections are completely different, I don't know how I'm going to get a replacement board other than buying a whole new set of electronics (it also take upwards of a month for anything to arrive here in Australia and I'd just gotten everything working finally)
Re: Where to get replacement gen 2 electronics?
April 21, 2009 08:12AM
Are you saying you have blown the actual PCB? Otherwise isn't it just a matter of removing the burnt out parts and fitting new ones?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 21, 2009 08:16AM
What is different about gen2 and gen3 connectors, I thought both were ribbon in and RJ45 out to the optos.

April 21, 2009 08:18AM
I accidentally placed the pcb on something metal. I think I blew my big chip (the one that needs a heatsink) because it's giving off some nasty smell. Plus I somehow managed to break a few of the wires on the backside of the pcb and it didn't work even after I gave it a solder. The only light that comes on is the one that says power is attached, everything else is dead.

basically, I screwed it up nice and good it seems. (I had taken it out of it's normal position on a piece of chipboard in order to affix a bigger heatsink to it)
April 21, 2009 08:20AM
my gen 2 use basic wire to wire for everything. There are no ribbon wire or RJ45 for anything.
April 21, 2009 08:32AM
Well I am confused. If I follow the gen2 link in the wiki I get here [www.reprap.org] which shows an L297/L298 board with the same connections as the gen3 A9382 one here: [www.reprap.org]

There must be more than one version of gen2!

April 21, 2009 08:34AM
You could always just not fit the connectors and solder wires into the gen3 board where the connectors would go.

April 21, 2009 08:39AM
I just looked through the list, I'm using version 1.1 of the arduino based stepper drivers.

Yeah I could solder through that way, thanks, I saw the Rj connectors and the ribbon and got a bit confused. my brain doesn't seem to be working at full tilt tonight
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login