Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Checklist for testing out new electronics

Posted by disneytoy 
Checklist for testing out new electronics
September 08, 2013 04:21PM
I'm not experienced with these matters "yet." But i have a new from China Arduino Mega, Ramps 1.4 and a set of a4988s. So I don't blow anything out can someone give me some rudamentary steps to testing things out?

For instance, what to do to make sure the Mega is working properly before I even attach anything or upload firmware (MARLIN)?

Then if that is working and I install the firmware, Is ther a way to test the RAMPS 1.4 without the A4988.

How do I test the A4988? I've read about blowing them out. How can I safely test them eith my motors?

Also what is the process of adjusting the a4988 with that little pot? Do i really need a ceramic screwdriver? What size, I'll order it on ebay.

Just need a starting point to make sure all electronics are operational.

Best Wishes

Maxi
Re: Checklist for testing out new electronics
September 09, 2013 05:16AM
In the Arduino s/ware, there's a simple program you can upload which just makes an on-board LED blink - that should be a fair test of the board.

You can't do much really with the Ramps until you've plugged it into the Mega. Without the driver chips installed, you can test the heat output voltages, the end stops and the thermistors. All 3 "D" outputs have a corresponding LED which is a good indication that all is well when the outputs are energised. I would fit one of the pololu's in a socket and you can then test all the motors in turn with just that one. A ceramic s/driver is just a precaution, I don't use one coz I don't have one, I just made one out of a piece of plastic (like a knitting needle).
Info...
Put your heat sinks on - all the pololu chips and one on the hot end Mosfet.
Important: Examine both the boards with a magnifier to check for solder splash - you will find some although most if not all will be harmless. You can scrape the solder dots off with a finger nail or credit card or whatever works.

September 09, 2013 10:22AM
First thing to do is check for shorts. Use a multimeter and check resistance across the power inputs and from any 5V pin to ground. Both measurements should be in the kilo Ohm range or higher. Then before inserting ATMega or Pololu drivers you could check the 5V regulator. Just power up and make sure you are getting 5V where you should.

Once the smoke tests are done, you could plug in ATMega and check for connectivity with Arduino by just trying to upload a simple sketch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login