Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Controller for camcorder mount

Posted by Yamster 
Controller for camcorder mount
September 14, 2013 10:00AM
Hello,

I am in process of creating/designing a camcorder mount.

I want to mount a small home use camcorder, and control the pan, tilt, and... hmm. there's one more movement, but not sure how to call it. :p Anyway, so it will have 3 motors, one that spins the hole thing along the Z axis, another one to make the camera look up and down (rotational move along the X axis), and the last one adjusting the level/tilt of the picture (rotational move along the Y axis).

I think I will eventually get a working design for the mount and print the parts with my 3D printer. However, I am not sure what I am going to do for the controller.

I guess I could buy another RAMP1.4 (which is the controller I have on my 3D printer) and modify the firmware a little bit, then write a simple control console program which sends g codes to the controller board via USB.

But I would think that's a bit excessive.... All I need is just to run 3 stepper motors. I don't need any feed backs (no end stops). I obviously am not going to need to power the hot end or heated bed (again no feedback from thermistor). If there's anything else I may want to do with the controller board, is to send those camcorder control signal (forgot its name, sorry) with which I can zoom in/out and turn on/off the camera.

I know this is an Electronics forum for RepRap, so I understand my question may not be entirely appropriate to to ask this question, but then again, it's still related to my 3D printing project :p and I would expect to find a lot of people with knowledge in this area.

Are there any controller board that I can use? Hopefully something simple and won't require too much learning? smiling smiley
Re: Controller for camcorder mount
September 16, 2013 08:41PM
I have something like that for arduino a webcam, and small servos, have stuff printed for it too, i use the arduino code in attachment. But i do not have anything to control it from the computer, other than manually sending dir.. Idea is to use this to communicate with it, but really i kindah want to see the video when controlling it. I think that is also linux/unix specific?(not 100% sure)

Not sure how smooth the motion can be, dont think it will be that smooth with that set-up.

More advanced stuff like face recognition, or that think where they move the image to correct for vibrations, would be cool too.. Compiled an openCV example, found' recognition files'(to track noses but cant figure how to actually run it.)
Attachments:
open | download - camera_aim.cpp (1.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login