Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ultimate Guide to Inkjet Direct PCB Printing

Posted by fullspeceng 
Ultimate Guide to Inkjet Direct PCB Printing
September 02, 2009 01:26PM
If you're experimenting with your reprap, you will probably want to modify your electronics. Breadboarding doesn't work for SMD components so you need to build your own PCB.

Making a Homebrew PCB has many advantages such as instant gratification and low cost. There are many different techniques but the fastest/easiest/cheapest way is to use an inkjet printer capable of directly printing on CDs and use an etch resistant ink. You can find answers if you are looking for bits and pieces and willing to try a few things out but until now it has been the EE experimenter's best kept secret.

However, I made it easier and made an idiot-proof step by step guide along with a kit for those that just want to get started and make PCBs quickly and easy without doing any hacking or major modifications. I also made several innovations and improvements such as a special laser cut stencil and finding the best possible ink after many different trial and error tests.

Yes there are limitations and sacrifices but I don't claim this is the only way nor do I claim it is the best way but rather a way that works for sure and easy to follow.

I have written this guide to provide 100% reproducible results. I cover everything from how to prepare the circuit board, how to save the image, how long to bake the board at what temperature to dry it and how long to etch the board in great detail. Follow these instructions and you can have a board in a matter of minutes.

Check out the tutorial here

Check out the kit here

Making Homebrew PCBs has never been easier.
Two questions:

1.) Can this method reliably produce PCBs for small chips (such as the AS5035 used in the MagServo, which has a pitch of .5 mm)?

2.) Has anybody tried using this together with the hotplate reflow technique? I assume you will need to print a solder mask for it to work?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login