Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

heat resistor

Posted by basbr 
heat resistor
November 24, 2013 12:37PM
hello everyone

recently i had to swapped out my print head because the gears broke.
when i took the hotend of i accidentally snagged the heat resistor and it broke.
i have been looking around for a new one but everywhere i look people have 3 or 5 W resistors between 5 and 10 ohm.
the board i use to control the printer is a Gen 6, when i measured the voltage over the resistor it was 20V.
so with a Small calculation you find that current is 2A.
this however is far to large for a 5W resistor

so im a bit puzzled, the resistor i broke came with the printer when i bought it.
can anyone tell me what kind of resistor i should use or if anyone else with a Gen 6 board can help.

-basbr
Re: heat resistor
November 24, 2013 04:32PM
When a resistor is rated at "3W" or "5W", that means it's capable of that level of power output, while in free-air, while maintaining it's properties within it's specification. We don't care so much about it staying within a 5% tolerance of it's rated values and are mounting it into what ammounts to a large heatsink, that has the effect of allowing it to survive a much higher power than it's specified rating. Usually they are wirewound resistors, since wirewounds tend be a lot more abuse-tolerant than other type.

My hot-end is a home-built one and it uses a 3.9Ohm 3W resistor on 12V, so it's actually running at well over 30W.

Prussa i2 Comissioned 4-Nov-2013
Bitcoin : 1Jcrg5czBtNfKyS4sCjFAamJTcSYdTGk9h
Re: heat resistor
November 24, 2013 06:51PM
If your hot end will accept one, a 40W 24V heater cartridge is a simple way to go. They are reasonably cheap and a bit more rugged than the resistor approach.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login