Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

brushless motor for milling spindle on servo port

Posted by jtoombs 
brushless motor for milling spindle on servo port
February 05, 2014 05:02PM
Hi, I have a ramps 1.4 and an rc brushless motor that I am thinking of using for a cnc spindle on my machine. I know that brushless motors are controlled in a way that is similar to servos. I was wondering if it is possible to attach the signal and ground wires from my electronic speed control to one of the servo ports on my ramps board. Could I then control the motor with marlin firmware?

Thanks
Re: brushless motor for milling spindle on servo port
February 05, 2014 05:16PM
You need an RC electronic brushless speed controller. This has a 3 pin input which connects to where you would plug a servo. There are 3 output wires which go to the motor. Another 2 wires go to the power source. The speed of the motor is proportional to the pulse width input.If the motor runs the wrong way, reverse 2 of the wires. The ESC come in various current ratings to suit your motor.

I am going to use the same idea for light milling. Not sure what software is required to create milling or drilling or plotting commands.
Re: brushless motor for milling spindle on servo port
February 05, 2014 10:31PM
Yeah I have an ESC with the signal wire. But can you control the speed using gcode? I have read that the servos are used for auto bed leveling. How could I utilize the servo port during the milling process? Could I use a post processor? I don't even know how those work...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login