Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 rework hotend

Posted by mrboost 
Prusa i3 rework hotend
September 01, 2014 04:40PM
Hi,

I'm working on my Prusa i3 rework and i'm at the point where all I need is a hotend. The parts list says I need a Magma hotend but I can't seem to find any for sale... Is there an alternative or something better that I can use?

Thank you,
Ck
Re: Prusa i3 rework hotend
September 01, 2014 05:29PM
Most popular is probably the J-head (reprap wiki). My personal favourite is the E3D V6 all-metal hotend. Budaschnozzle is reasonably popular. Big list here (reprap.org). Most anything that is groove-mount compatible will probably work and others will work with adaptation.

What extruder will you be using?

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
September 01, 2014 05:48PM
Great thank you,

I'm not sure what extruder I thought the hotend was the extruder?

Thank you,
Ck
September 02, 2014 02:24AM
nozzle = hotend
extruder = coldend

for my i3 I'm using Gregs wade extruder (geared)

You can choose between 3 main types:
- bowden extruder
- geared extruder
- direct drive extruder
September 02, 2014 07:23AM
Ohhh ok, I'm using the wade extruder as that is what came with my printed parts. I think i'm going to go with a a J-head V clone.

[www.ebay.com]

Thank you for the help!
Ck
September 02, 2014 01:36PM
I would recommend that, if this is your first printer, you should go with an official j-head from hotends.com. Many people have reported issues with clones. I have never had a single issue with the 3 official j-heads that I own, and the savings with the clone, in my mind, do not offset the risks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login