Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MKS Gen V1.3 hang & reset automatically

Posted by willysan 
MKS Gen V1.3 hang & reset automatically
June 06, 2015 11:14PM
Hello, I am a newbie in 3D printer. I DIY my own mini kossel delta with a MKS GEN V1.3 controller last Christmas. It has printed around 20 pieces of sample and parts successfully up to now. Unfortunately, it caused a weird problem yesterday. When it was printing an Elephant (downloaded from [www.thingiverse.com]), the printer was stopped and LCD light off suddenly, then wait for around 30 seconds and reset to reboot automatically. I don't know why and it happen again when I tried to print same elephant 3 times. It stopped and reset in different layer, it was in layer between 4mm to 10mm height.

Do u have any idea why and how to troubleshoot it?

- Mini Kossel Delta
- MKS Gen V1.3 board from mainland China (item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.15.LIG3vc&id=40156384472&ns=1&abbucket=11#detail)
- PSU 12V - 30A (I have checked it with a multimeter)
- head bed was in 90 degree
- printer hotend in 210 degree
- printed with PLA
- 60mm printing speed in general (120mm travel)
- printed without PC, via SD Card directly
- LCD 12864
- Marlin firmware

Cheers,
Willy
Re: MKS Gen V1.3 hang & reset automatically
July 10, 2015 04:52PM
Hi Willy,

I had a similar problem with my MKS Gen board. I ended up fixing it by putting a 3300uF capacitor across the 5V supply rail. I actually had one laying around from my R/C hobby (used for my flight controller to stabilise the supply) and just plugged it into one of the 5V headers on the MKS GEN board. I can't believe how well it worked, I have not had any weird issues since with resets occurring. I am starting to trust my MKS Gen board now, I always thought it was rubbish but have not had one failure since adding the capacitor.
I purchased mine from HobbyKing.

Hope this helps you too.
Re: MKS Gen V1.3 hang & reset automatically
August 01, 2015 09:55PM
gjt211
Hi Willy,

I had a similar problem with my MKS Gen board. I ended up fixing it by putting a 3300uF capacitor across the 5V supply rail. I actually had one laying around from my R/C hobby (used for my flight controller to stabilise the supply) and just plugged it into one of the 5V headers on the MKS GEN board. I can't believe how well it worked, I have not had any weird issues since with resets occurring. I am starting to trust my MKS Gen board now, I always thought it was rubbish but have not had one failure since adding the capacitor.
I purchased mine from HobbyKing.

Hope this helps you too.

Thx for your hints!!! I found the root cause finally, which was about cracked insulation from 12V power source cable & connector.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login