Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Eagle Electronics Release Script

Posted by ZachHoeken 
Eagle Electronics Release Script
October 03, 2007 03:33PM
Hey All,

Having switched to Eagle, I've really fallen in love with it. Its such a powerful program with a very rich fanbase that has done some really cool stuff with it. If you didnt see my blog post on the builders blog, look at the really awesome 3D renderings you can get out of it: [builders.reprap.org]

Anyway, I took the old release script for the Kicad files, and updated it to work with Eagle. Its amazing just how many things I could automate with it. For example, with Kicad, you had to create all the GERBER files and PS files manually, and the script just zipped them up. With Eagle, it actually *creates* those files on the fly, so they will always be up to date.

Here's the current status of the Eagle release script:

* Creates GERBER files
* Creates drill data files (.drd)
* Creates PDF files (+schematic!)
* renders .pov file to a .png

there are still a couple manual things you have to do (other than creating the board):

* run the drillcfg script (which only has to be done once, i believe.)
* run the eagle3d ulp file to create the .pov file. this is pretty easy to do, and i emailed the creator to find out if theres a way to automate this.

some things i'd like to add to this script:

* more error checking.
* movie output. there is the option of creating a flyover of the board, and that would be really excellent to have for random hard-to-see components

other than that, it appears to work really well. the script is in subversion under electronics, and you can download an example file here: [www.rrrf.org]
Re: Eagle Electronics Release Script
October 03, 2007 04:42PM
I believe Eagle can export Gerber outlines for milling as well thumbs up

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: Eagle Electronics Release Script
October 03, 2007 05:20PM
yes, i think you are right!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login