Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beaglebone Machinekit Build Advice

Posted by turbo329is 
Beaglebone Machinekit Build Advice
November 16, 2016 04:34PM
I abandoned my cheap Prusa I3x kit project several years ago. The printed parts that came with the kit fell apart under there own weight and it came with zip ties in lieu of end stop mounts. I've finally got the capability again to replace the broken 3d printed parts with whatever I want. Linuxcnc/Machinekit is what I want to use, because I want to get some experience using it before I start on my cnc lathe project which is still mostly functional on it's original Emco control. Actually having a working 3D printer isn't a priority.

So anyway I want to work with what I've got sitting in boxes which is a prusa i3x w/heated bed, a beaglebone black a6a, a 4d systems 4DCAPE-70T 7" touchscreen, and the ramps 1.4. I was thinking I could use the ramps 1.4 which came with the i3x kit, but I'd like to know if I should just buy Cramps or one of the other cnc capes to make things easier. In machinekit there are a half dozen capes to select from, but I didn't see an option for using the beaglebone i/o directly.

I was able to get the machinekit image running on the microsd a few nights ago with the touchscreen. Machinekit says the minimum resolution to run LinuxCnc is 800x600 and and my lcd is only 800x480, but I'm hoping this isn't a big issue. I'm also not exactly sure which of the cnc capes are compatible with the lcd cape.

thanks
Re: Beaglebone Machinekit Build Advice
November 17, 2016 05:46AM
if you have ramps I would look and the re-amps wish that's was out before I started my mini kossel build 32 bit smoothieware compatible

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
November 17, 2016 06:35AM
I suspect he means the re-arm board, for making a ramps 32bit and smoothie compatible
November 17, 2016 09:35PM
I wanted to make things simple by using one of the configurations that's already built into machinekit. After googling that entire list I've realized that my cape options are really only cramps, replicape and BeBoPr. On the LinuxCNC forum it looks like lots of people just use a parallel port for step, direction and i/o, so I don't know why there isn't a configuration to just use the beaglebone pins. I'm still not really even clear on the distinction between LinuxCNC and Machinekit. I tried getting into the cramps configuration just now and it gave an error about rtapi:0 demon is not running, even though I started machinekit from the root terminal so I need to figure that out now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login