single sided stepper driver board for the arduino

Posted by flaex 
single sided stepper driver board for the arduino
January 07, 2008 03:38PM
Hello!
I dont now if anybody has done this before, but I tried to build a single sided
layout for the stepper driver version 1.1. Here it is:
[forums.reprap.org]
Its a little bit chaotic but I tried to avoid air-wires as much as possible but there are still 5 of them left. I think thats a good result. What do you think?
Felix(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2008 03:42PM by flaex.
Re: single sided stepper driver board for the arduino
January 07, 2008 06:21PM
nice. thats definitely a good start. i'm not sure if i have any advice on reducing those air wires, but it definitely has potential. you should give it another shot, tidy it up a bit, make one, and then once it works we'll add it to subversion and put it up on sourceforge.

cheers!
January 07, 2008 06:28PM
It's nice, I tried to make one based on the L298/L297 combo,

I've included the brd file and sch. Please download and have a poke around.
Attachments:
open | download - l927l298.brd (24.2 KB)
open | download - l927l298.sch (284 KB)
January 07, 2008 09:17PM
I just trying to learn something so, What do you mean by single sided?

Jay
January 08, 2008 03:12AM
PCB's can have copper tracks i.e. connections between component pins on just one side of the board (single sided) or on both sides of the boards (double sided).

It is always the aim of a PCB designer to avoid any wires to jump across tracks as this just increases assembly time, for production this is a real no-no but for RepRap it's no big deal.

The big advantage of single sided for RepRap is with a milling head you could very easily build your own boards even two sided are fairly easy but single are the easiest for home manufacture as with two sided there are alignment issues both for milling or etching (the normal PCB process)

Commercial products have multilayer boards i.e. anywhere from 4 to 16 (probably many more by now!) these layers are internal and connected with small through holes called "vias" after the boards are all sandwiched together the holes are plated which connects the internals layers together and to the top and bottom layers. Some PCB now also have passive (resistors, caps etc) components embedded into the board layers.

Hope this helps

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
January 08, 2008 10:04AM
hello!
Congratulations, the fallen, your layout is much tidier than mine.
i love this round tracks smiling smiley
I
January 08, 2008 03:25PM
Oh, ok that maks a lot of sense. Yeah, in that case great work! It is always a good thing to keep on expanding the possibilities of the RepRap project.

Jay
I tryed to build the stepper board from The Fallen. I haven't get it to work. The power led is on, the vcc of both IC's are correct. The protection circuit (diodes) are working, if a turn the motor manually both led cicle red/green as in the original rep rap stepper board. Any hint at this? thanks
April 28, 2009 10:41AM
Did you check/adjust Vref?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login