Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with Parts lister

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Problems with Parts lister
March 10, 2008 06:44PM
I have run into several frustrationsmoody smiley created by the Parts lister that has lead to wrong quantities and wrong parts.

I ordered everything from the parts lister as the given quantities.

First I discovered that I didn't have enough rods to cut all the pieces I needed. Looks like there was no accounting for cut off or the initial rod length. I had to run to the hardware store and try to find parts. Didn't get all I needed that way (no m8 rods) and had to place another order to McMaster Carr. The shopping lists needs to be told how many rods and studs will actually be needed and not just the overall sum of the part lengths. For M8 rods the shopping cart ordered 9 rods. I believe I ended up needing 16 (mostly due to the fact that McC sells them in 3 ft. lengths rather than meter, which should also be noted). Of course the same problem with the stud/threaded rod, but I was able to pick up a few at the hardware store. I think I needed 10, maybe more.

Now I find out that the springs I ordered are not going to fit.confused smiley What are the specs for the backlash spring supposed to be (length, O.D)?

Also ordered the Z pulleys from McC. But they don't fit on the M8 stud for the idlers. Luckily I ordered the plastic parts from BitsfromBytes (thanks Ian) which comes with a set of pulleys, but I don't think the teeth pitch matches up to the belt I ordered from McC (but I could be wrong on that) . angry smiley

Anyway, maybe I am just frustrated at every turn, but it seems like some of these issues could be addressed to avoid other individuals future frustrations. Hope my comments help.
Re: Problems with Parts lister
March 11, 2008 08:25AM
Yeah, I ran into the same problems last week. There's a thread over here: [forums.reprap.org]

I've also detailed how I got around these things in my build journal. But, yeah, the documentation should probably be updated. I think I've got edit rights on the wiki, so I might be able to add some notes to the BOM page. Not sure what can be done about the parts lister, though.
March 11, 2008 10:35AM
I took a first swipe at a BOM notes page [reprap.org] and linked to it from the main Darwin page and the cartesian robot BOM page.
March 11, 2008 11:57AM
if someone is interested in helping update the BOM, please send me a PM. I'm swamped with all sorts of stuff like running the RRRF, working on the McWire designs, coding for the Arduino, etc.

Its all contained in a google doc and its easy to update that. The partlister is all open source code as well and easy to understand.

I'm sorry if you've run into problems, but keep in mind its a work in progress. At last you dont have to do it all by hand anymore...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login