Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what thread size to use for threaded drive system

Posted by mlagana 
what thread size to use for threaded drive system
January 10, 2010 01:32PM
Hi,

i'm making a repstrap with threaded drives and am having trouble figuring out what size thread i should use.

I remember reading about .5mm accuracy, does this mean i should go with M3?
Re: what thread size to use for threaded drive system
January 10, 2010 03:39PM
I'd avoid using threaded drives, as they're usually pretty slow for a Reprap. We shoot for 0.1 mm / step resolution, which is pretty easy with a belt drive and 200 step steppers. If you were to use an M3 threaded drive with a 200 step stepper, you'd get 0.0025 steps per mm, and a top speed of around 2 mm/s (rough estimation). My Darwin runs at 16 mm/s, and takes a full week of extrusion time to build a complete set of parts; an M3 bot would take over two months of extrusion time to do that.
January 10, 2010 09:29PM
Also, m3 is pretty spindly, you'd want to go up to atleast m5, maybe.

As Wade said, belt or rack and pinion is probably better.
January 10, 2010 11:24PM
hmm Ok thanks guys. I will abandon the threaded drive, i assumed using a belt was just to save space, didn't think about speed. Time to learn about belts!

thanks again
January 11, 2010 01:08AM
actually i am going to go ahead with the threaded drive...

in the past i constructed one for manually controlled stop-motion camera moves,if i go this way after i have printed mendel parts i can't make, i can use the cartesian bot as a motion control system with openMoco (i'm an animator)

so if i make it with m5 thread, with a pitch of .8mm, does that mean my 3d designs would come out larger? Or does the reprap software compensate for this and they are just less detailed?

my X axis is going to be around 800mm (for the motion control unit) so i guess i will have to put the opto stops much further in while reprapping.
January 11, 2010 07:03AM
M6 is a nice round 1mm pitch.

as far as I know, there should be somewhere in the firmware configuration to set steps per mm, which totally glosses over drive methods and such.
January 11, 2010 08:08AM
cool i will go with m6. thankyou all for your help
January 31, 2010 07:14AM
> as far as I know, there should be somewhere in the
> firmware configuration to set steps per mm, which
> totally glosses over drive methods and such.

ReplicatorG uses a file: machines.xml. In there you will add your machine and its attributes. There you can tell it the number of steps per mm for the X, Y and Z axis.

B^2 : [replibot.blogspot.com]

~~ We Are The Factory ~~
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login