Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Made a new linear bearing

Posted by UkIan 
Made a new linear bearing
October 04, 2014 04:57PM
It uses three 623zz bearings for each corner of the carriage, each bearing at 120degrees from the other. There's a video at the end which shows half the carriage running along one 8mm smooth rod.

The important thing is, it feels slippery no matter what angle you pull at it, it isn't affected by skew in the way that the traditional linear bearings are.

It's only a prototype obviously, I'm amazed it printed, fit together and worked at all to be honest. The video is awful and doesn't really show it's good points. I've also put the scad file on thingiverse in case you want to have a play. I'm just starting to get the hang of OpenSCAD, but it's not as parameterised as I'd like.

youtube of it here
Re: Made a new linear bearing
October 09, 2014 03:58PM
You have reinvented the original Mendel smiling smiley
[reprap.org]
which used this idea for all its bearings

-Rob A>
Re: Made a new linear bearing
October 09, 2014 04:12PM
Which goes to show what a brilliant idea they had smiling smiley

Funnily enough someone I know mentioned exactly this the other day and said something about it falling out of favour because of the complexity and cost. I think I might run with it though. The carriage feels sooo much nicer on the bars than the scritchy scratchy linear bearings version smiling smiley

Love that photo btw, there are some interesting alternative layouts I might steal smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login