Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

List of where to find everything to build McWire RepStrap

Posted by bobt 
List of where to find everything to build McWire RepStrap
December 11, 2007 07:13PM
How about we build a list here of all the information to build a McWire (like Make article) RepStrap. I has become somewhat frustration trying to find all the parts of the information necessary to build one. What I was looking for is a list of URL's that give me the list of parts - OK [parts.reprap.org] Where are the diagrams that are printable for hole pattern layout and such. I also know that Zach is working on the additional items for electronics and such. I just thought that a single point of contact would make building the McWire RepStrap.

Bob Teeter
Re: List of where to find everything to build McWire RepStrap
December 11, 2007 09:22PM
On Sunday night, Zach went out and put in a order for the latest design of laser-cut acrylic parts for the McWire.

I ordered everything off the parts.reprap list (I think) and brought it with me. I will try to figure out what I'm still missing and post back here. I expect by Thursday night should be pretty clear where we stand.

// Stephen Gutknecht
/// In Brooklyn, NY assisting Zach this week

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 09:23PM by RoundSparrow.
Anonymous User
December 11, 2007 09:51PM
Sorry, I guess I should post this under McWire Reprap.

Home Depot has:
Iron pipes
Aluminum angle
Aluminum bar
Aluminum channel
Self tapping screws
Thick Plexiglas

Academy has:
Bearings

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2007 03:06PM by Cheap!.
Re: List of where to find everything to build McWire RepStrap "Seedling"
December 11, 2007 10:39PM
Ok - Let me give a concrete example of what I was asking for.

McWire RepStrap "Seedling"

1. Watch the video as an introduction about the Computer side of operations.

[blog.makezine.com]

2. Watch the video as an introduction about the hardware side of operations.

[blog.makezine.com]

3. Documentation list

[parts.reprap.org]

Select the "McWire Cartesian Bot v1.2" to provide a list of items that need to be gotten for the construction of the Mechanical part(local or internet).

4. Parts Purchasing

[parts.reprap.org] This is for ordering the mechanical parts from the Internet.

5. Hooking it all together.

6. Instructions for testing the printer.

What I am attempting to create is a "Cookbook" approach to building a RepStrap system. Most of us are willing to dig it out but why should we when as a group we can create a very simple method of providing instructions for what we love to do.

Bob Teeter
December 12, 2007 01:45AM
hey guys, thanks for self-organizing this documentation!

the 'whole package' around the McWire bot is called 'Seedling' info here: [make.rrrf.org]

the 3-axis 'McWire bot' located here: [make.rrrf.org]

the 2d drawings suitable for lasercutting are here: [svn.reprap.org]

i'll be putting them out as a file release on sourceforge soon. keep in mind that these are many layer files and you'll have to do a bit of work to get them parted out into the proper format for lasercutting. the sourceforge will have that stuff done already. i'm also working on getting a bulk purchase of lasercut parts together. think january.

here is a flickr set of the v1.0 machine: [flickr.com]

other than that, its still rather a work in progress. i'll try and get build photos and instructions up SOON for v1.2. v1.1 was made by Bre, and I dont really have much info on that other than the MAKE stuff.

this has sort of happened so fast... the MAKE podcasts took us by storm.

good luck! if you have any particular questions, please PM or email me directly and i'll try to help.
December 23, 2007 06:42PM
OK - Mr. Zach said that he was going on Christmas vacation but all of a sudden there appears by magic detailed electronics/Software Arduino based electronics and detailed construction data. Please Zach don't go on vacation again as we can not take your vacation mode as to your work mode. But then again THANK YOU for all your hard work. I'm going to have a very Merry Christmas this year. Going to catch Santa Claus with my magic packages and run into my cave and not come out till it runs...

Thank you Zach for all you hard work.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
December 27, 2007 12:37PM
hey,

well, i'm at home with family in Iowa, so sometimes vacation can get sort of boring. well, that and i was stuck in the airport for 4 hours with nothing to do and a laptop =)

i think i've mostly finished the arduino code... so barring any bugs, my next step is to fully test my own printer and do some test prints. since my McWire/Seedling is using v1.0 parts, i'll take the v1.2 lasercut parts and do a full rebuild. i'll document the crap out of everything and get that page finished.

once i do that, then the whole system should be documented rather fully. i'm really looking forward to that because it means that we'll have an easy, accessible way for people to get started printing.

cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login