Anonymous User
Easy to find parts for the CNC Mill (RepStrap)
December 11, 2007 09:44PM
Home Depot has:
Iron pipes
Aluminum angle
Aluminum bar
Aluminum channel
Self tapping screws
Thick Plexiglas

Academy has:
Bearings
Re: Easy to find parts for the CNC Mill (RepStrap)
December 14, 2007 04:05PM
My local Ace Hardware as drawers of springs available. See if a hardware store near you carries the specialty bolts and nuts. (ie stainless steel and such ) They then should have them or at the least can order them.

Bob Teeter
December 21, 2007 05:08PM
Just a note: I went to academy.com on line. No Internet sales. Called corporate phone. They said that you had to call a store and if they had them they could ship them by ups. Long story short - What a nightmare. Go to website find a store in a list of 100 stores. I am in Minnesota stores are in Southeast. After 6 clerks and 2 managers they said that they could ship them ups ground but that ups would bill separately from product charge. I said no thanks. I will order them from an internet company that can process off the net.

Sorry.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
December 28, 2007 04:51PM
ooh ooh!

i havent put them on the RRRF store yet, but in anticipation of the McWire kit i'll be putting together soon, i ordered a bulk shipment of roller bearings. i havent figured the final price yet, but i think it something like $5.00 / tube (with 8 bearings per tube) for mcwire you'll need exactly 16 skate bearings, so it will be $10.00 for all the bearings you need. much cheaper and you'll be supporting the RRRF store. they're high quality ABEC3 / 608 skate bearings. they're gold and pretty to boot!

i'll post the product now and get the picture up when i get home.
December 28, 2007 05:01PM
okay, i added them with a google image: [store.rrrf.org]
December 28, 2007 09:30PM
Zach - Its OK. I got my shipment in but what I ordered were the ABEC-9 Bearings. So I paid about $39.00 for 16 plus $5.00 for handling charge for an order under $50.00. But I got free shipping by USPS(mailman) I ordered it on 12/24 and it got here 12/28. I guess the postman had some time because all the Christmas Cards had been delivered. They also came with special "BsB Speed Lube". I think that I will put a chain on the mechanism so that the table parts will not fly away. I am grateful that you are putting them in the store because I just got to build another one of these. I so much fun.... Besides then I can run 2 RepStrap units from the same computer at the same time and see if the parts are mirrors of each other. I wonder how many repraps/repstraps can be run from a single linux box. My main test box has 8 serial ports and a bunch of usb ports so I may just have to see. Any one for a set of 8 tableware 1 item at a time. (ie 8 glasses, 8 bowls, 8 plates, but don't ask about fancy flowers in the design. I just make it I don't do fancy design)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2007 12:32PM by Robert Teeter.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
Anonymous User
Easy to find parts for the CNC Mill (RepStrap)
December 29, 2007 10:24PM
-- moved topic --
December 31, 2007 10:35AM
Hey, check this out: Rapid Prototyped plastic bearings?

[www.youtube.com]
VDX
January 01, 2008 04:13PM
Hi RoundSparrow,

... this are 'giveaways', i've got at some 3D-printer-fairs too, made with ink-jetting in a powder-bed ...

They turn like 'real' bearings, but the surface is like sand-stone, so you didn't have any real usability, as the body would brake when running with some load.

I have some proof-of-concept-parts made with laser-STL-epoxy, ink-jetted in starch or plaster of paris, wax-printers and some other methods, but the best/most usable methods actually are the STL-epoxy (UV-curing in a liquid-bath), objets single-droplets-direct-UV-curing and the dimension-ABS-FDM-printers (target of RepRap) - the absolute top (in strength, accuracy an price) is additive sintering of blasted metal-powder in 3D-laser-spot-processing ...

When you want real usable bearings with the reprap-methode, then try inserting glass-spheres (toy-marbles) between two reprapped concave rings, this would work much better, then ink-jetting the complete body from powder ...

Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login