Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McWire - Construction question

Posted by bobt 
McWire - Construction question
January 19, 2008 04:38PM
I see on the list of parts for the McWire that there are 5 mm Bolts, Washers and Nuts. What are these used for?

The 5/16" parts are used for attaching the skate bearings. The 10-24 screws are for attaching the rails to the stage.

Also does anyone have the general size for the X, Y and Z stages as getting the dimensions from the autocad drawings is not a small issue. Also while we are listing sizes how about the other parts. Bearing arm, Endstop mount, Vertical Bearing arm and Vertical base.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
Re: McWire - Construction question
January 21, 2008 06:48PM
Hey,

The M5 bolts are used for mounting the motors and attaching the threaded rod to the stages. You could get by with the imperial equivalent (not sure what it is)

As for the dimensions, I can get those soon. If you have a CAD program, its actually really really easy. All the drawings are created in QCad which is 100% cross platform.
January 23, 2008 11:21AM
OK - Zach has updated the "Seedling" build instructions. We now have pictures of what the parts look like and some of the initial build instructions on how to put everything together. YAAAHHHHHH........

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
Anonymous User
January 23, 2008 08:08PM
Thank you Zach.

For anyone else reading this thread, the other cool thing you can do is click on the pictures in the Seedling instructions. That will take you to PhotoBucketShutterFly-whatever site that has the whole kitten-kaboodle set of pictures. I found trolling around through those pictures gave me more information specific to how all of the pieces fit together.

It's clear Zach has put a tremendous amount of effort in on this project to make it easy for you and me.
January 23, 2008 10:26PM
One other note: to retain the coupling to the stages use a 1/4" copper pipe strap. If you are worried about corrosion a single wrap of any colored electrical tape will separate the two metals. But if you use the 1/2" galvanized pipe strap from the BOM then the coupling and a very small plane will go thru at the same time (please note that I did say "very small" plane).
Just thought you might want to know. We need to update the BOM about these items.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2008 10:27PM by Robert Teeter.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login