Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cool: Seedling Measurements are trickling in!

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Cool: Seedling Measurements are trickling in!
January 20, 2008 04:41PM
For those of you hovering over the Seedling site in inerst, Zach has posted measurements of the aluminum you need to cut:

Cut Aluminum Rails To Length
You will need to cut your rails to the specified lengths. I recommend using a hacksaw and some clamps. Cut slowly and you can be very precise. Cut from the bottom of the U to the top. Remember: measure twice, cut once!

X Rails (2) - 21 inches Y Rails (2) - 13 inches Z Rails (2) - 13 inches

Cut Aluminum Angle to Length
X Supports (2) - about 6 3/8 inches (6.33" to be exact) Y Supports (2) - about 9 1/16 inches (9.074" to be exact) Z Supports (2) - about 5 15/16 inches (5.90" to be exact)

Thanks Zach!
Re: Cool: Seedling Measurements are trickling in!
January 20, 2008 06:58PM
Please do the part about measure twice and cut once. I just measured the distance between the base pipes on my "Seedling" and found that the distance is 22 15/16" center to center. Which means that my X supports need to be longer than 21 inches to work. If you neglect to do this part you should probably expect to see the air turn blue around your work. Please make sure that small children are not in the area. Because it is hard to explain where a grandchild picked up "Grandpa's words" from. And yes kids say the darnedest things when you least expect them to.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
January 21, 2008 06:57PM
Yeah, sorry... basically one of the pipes will need to be shortened in the base (or you can cut the X rails longer, but theres not much room left in the 8 foot length of aluminum rail)

I'll update the BOM to specify the proper pipe lengths ASAP.
Anonymous User
January 21, 2008 11:00PM
No need to apologize. You are doing an incredible job.

As an aside your BLOG is hilarious. My wife is hooked.
January 21, 2008 11:15PM
Zach - I am not worried about the length. I bought 2 8 foot pieces of channel so length is not a problem. Besides I want to make 2 Seedlings right away. Which means another trip to ACE Hardware (5 minutes away) for another piece of metal. Those folks just love me there. Also fantastic service. Have to beat the kids off with a stick for service. Walk in the door, 1st question do you need any help. The nice part is I know the owner and he has a bunch of competition in town. His response is service, service, and more service. Got to love it.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
January 22, 2008 07:53AM
Hey, Thanks Robert!!! Your talkin' to your very own Ace boy. You right though. Everyday the one thing that we always get lectured on to do is give good service.

Jay
January 22, 2008 10:17AM
Yeah, but I definitely need to worry about length. With the aluminum angle being $22 for 8 feet, it absolutely has to fit all in one 8' length of angle. Once I get the pipes updated, then everything will be just fine =)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login