serial lcd
December 29, 2011 11:57AM
how hard would it be to add a serial lcd display to the sprinter firmware sparkfun.com. i want to add this guy just to display temp data, and even in time add some other functions too like movement controls.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Re: serial lcd
December 30, 2011 05:34PM
If your using arduino based firmware its very easy. There is a library specifically written to drive LCD displays which you would just add an include line at the top of the firmawre code. Then its simple one line code to display text. Start at the following link

LCD Reference

The only issue you may have is that you need around 10 - 12 i/o pins to drive it, so you may need to solder through pins etc. if you are using ramps boards or similar to connect up the display.

Remember if you are using a host computer you can send text data back to the host and see it on the serial monitor function, so this does negate the use of a LCD somewhat in most cases on the machine.
December 30, 2011 05:37PM
with the hardware that i bought to try it out, it has another arduino on it already and it will take the data from a serial connection, so all i need to do is spit the data i want out over a serial tx pin. if my understanding is right of the board from sparkfun

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
January 01, 2012 05:47PM
Yes that would require less output pins by using the serial tx and would make sense as you have already bought the sparkfun kit.

I drove a lcd directly from the arduino on my delta robot to report x, y, z etc. So if you want to have a look to see how simple it is have a look at the firmware here and a video of the machine here

Be sure to write up how you get on as I am sure this would be of interest to others as it involves less connections to the arduinio.
January 02, 2012 08:29AM
cool thanks, I will have a look. my kit should be here by the end of the week. so I hope to post something soon on it

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login