Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin, Ramps1.4 and Ultipanel with rotary encoder?

Posted by DanKimble7 
Marlin, Ramps1.4 and Ultipanel with rotary encoder?
February 10, 2012 01:42PM
I am currently running the Marlin Firmware on my Repstrap. I would like to add an interface something like this. Ultipanel with rotary encoder
Is there anyone currently running with a setup like this? If so, How did you wire it up?/What pins did you use?

[dankimble7.blogspot.com]
Re: Marlin, Ramps1.4 and Ultipanel with rotary encoder?
February 15, 2012 09:34AM
Hi! I've done it on my GEN7. So telling you my wiring will not be very useful for you.
I've taken the ultipanel idea and redesigned it for my own needs. Generally you are free to use any unused pin combination you want. You just have to define them in pins.h correctly.
The only part which has to be "hard wired" is the sdcard adapter which has to use the hardware SPI pins (MISO,MOSI,SCK).
Maybe I can give you more infos if you tell me which electronics you use.
February 24, 2012 03:38PM
I have done it...

I had to re-write some of the Marlin code in order to get it to work, some of the commits that I have made to the code are available on the Test branch of Marlin at Github.

Shoddy Youtube Clip of the LCD in action...

I am still playing around to get the best layout, but I will post up my front panel, schematics ec when I get a chance. But if you look in the pins.h file in the Marlin test branch, you can get the pinouts that I have used. I have tested it on RAMPS1.3, but 1.4 should be exactly the same....

One thing that I found out is that if you are using the RAMPS SD card, there is a small problem with Marlin looking for a card detect pin in the hardware so that it knows to re-initiate the SD card when you plug it in. It is possible to use a momentary contact switch instead to simulate the removal and reinsertion of a card. There is setting in condiguration_adv.h that inverts the logic on the SCCard detection code which makes this work.
March 01, 2012 09:31AM
Scuba, I am currently running Marlin firmware on RAMPS 1.4

Justblair, I would love to see your schematics if you get a chance. I am off to check out the test branch of the Marlin firmware now. The Card Detect pin was one of the things that I was unsure of.
March 02, 2012 12:49PM
Hi..

I don't have schematics, but I have a had a few people interested in doing this so I will try and put something together over the weekend. I pretty much wired it up on a wing and a prayer, so tonight I aim to come up with a more practical wiring arrangement and write it up on my website... I will keep you informed...

Blair
March 05, 2012 05:39PM
[www.justblair.co.uk]

I have added some basic schematics and build notes to my website... Apologies for the crudeness of the writing, I will tidy it up an add information as I work it all out. Should be enough though to help get you running
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login