Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to figure out what you already have ?

Posted by TonyG 
How to figure out what you already have ?
August 22, 2012 05:54PM
I'm a noob, sorry, but I couldn't find the answer in the past posts.
Short version: Is there a way to get the firware settings already uploaded onto the Gen6 board?
Long version: I bought a used BotMill (Prusa) and after a rather major mechaincal rebuild, I'm still not getting the results I think I are correct. The original owner replaced the extruder with a Wade's, and I'm guessing had to make some firmware changes to support it. I can get the machine to print, but not well. I can't print any faster than 16 mm/s, which seems slow judging from this forum, and I have to set the extruder multiplier to 22 in Slic3r, and 50 in Kisslicer to get a flow that keeps up with that.
I believe I need to re-calibrate the machine, but without the origninal (or any) configuration files, am hesitant to make such wholesale changes to a working machine. I don't even know what firmware the board may be running (Marlin, FiveD, etc). So is there a way to get the firmware settings off the Gen6 board, so I have a starting point?

Thanks a bunch,
T.

in beautiful southern, Maryland...
Re: How to figure out what you already have ?
August 22, 2012 06:24PM
If it's Marlin M502 will show you what's in the EPROM.
Honestly it's not that hard to set up Marlin, I'd just download it and go through the setup process, once you've done it once, you'll have no fear about making tweaks afterwards.
August 22, 2012 07:50PM
tried M502, got nothing. Must not be Marlin. One down.

I'm guessing,by the age of this machine, it might be FiveD....

August 22, 2012 07:59PM
August 23, 2012 12:26PM
M115 did nothing either.

Polygonhell, you mentioned installing marlin and going thru the "setup process". I pulled Marlin off github, and all the adruino/sanguino etc, but where is the "setup process" you mention? Or did you mean those other bits of software. I could really use a step-by-step on this... not only to get the firmware into the Gen6, but to calibrate the machince once there.

T.

August 23, 2012 03:06PM
I'm not familiar with gen6 specifically, but you should be able to find instructions on flashing the firmware.
Configuring Marlin is a question of going through configuration.h and changing the values to match your printer.
I don't know of a walkthrough, because a lot depends on the printer, many of the marlin defaults are probably correct for a Prusa.
You can calculate the steps per relatively easily if you know what pulleys and belts and screws you have.
Once you've uploaded you verify the axis and extruder motions match what you expect, verify the thermistor reads roughly room temperature.

Start by taking a look at configuration.h and see what does and doesn't make sense.
Re: How to figure out what you already have ? ... avrdude error
August 27, 2012 09:00AM
Thanks Polygonhell.

Before I upload Marlin, I wanted to get a copy of what's in the device (safety first). So I looked thru the reprap.org site and found a command they said will copy off the present firmware in the device;

avrdude -c avrisp -b 19200 -i 10 -p m644p -P COM8 -F -U flash:r:factory_gen6.hex:i

of course, it doesn't work. It gives me the error;

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x73

let me say, the printer does print as is, just not very well and not to "scale". I've been using Pronterface, so I know the port is COM8, and the baud 19200. When I try the avrdude command, the everpresent squealing of the Gen6 board stops for a moment (common when I send commands to it with pronterface), then I get the error, and the squealing returns.

any ideas on this ???

August 27, 2012 10:43AM
Hold on, I succeeded ! With a mixture of baud rate changes, reset button hits, powering on/off, and a liberal amount of verbal abuse, I finally got it's attention and was able to pull off the firmware into a binary file. I can't read it, but atleast I have a way back.

Now onto loading Marlin....

Thanks a bunch...

T.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login