Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wrong travel range (z) @ Rostock - Marlin

Posted by luke2daH 
wrong travel range (z) @ Rostock - Marlin
March 28, 2014 08:28PM
Hi there,

I'm new in the 3D-printer-scene and got some issues calibrating my printer.

After finaly everything is set up for the first movements and tests, i got problems with the travelled distance.

Setup:
Selfmade Printer, orrientated on the Rostock delta-printer
Motherboard: Ramps 1.4
Stepper: 1.8 ° (200 Steps/rev)
Firmware Marlin (see atached files for Config)

1st Problem:

I got 20 tooth pulleys running with a GT2 belt.... and set 80 steps per mm in config.
When I meassure the travelled distance after pushing the button "1" for z axis down in Pronterface,
the carrier doesn't go down 1 mm (or cm, I don't know what scale pronterface uses for manual movement) but rather about 16mm.
If I check the distance in pronterface (M114) it tells me, that it went down for 1mm.

I got the A4988 on the board and the microstepping mode is set to 1/16 (see attached files).
I really dont know where the difference in distance comes from.

2nd Problem:

When I power up everything, connect the Arduino to pronterface and press the Home-button, all axis move toward the endstops. The first axis which triggers the endstop starts beeping untill I manually hit an endstop (not the one for the beeping axis). After that the axis (the one I hit the endstop) starts slowly to do the pullup untill it stops.

...clueless

Thanks for any help

Lukas
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (24.9 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (17.3 KB)
Re: wrong travel range (z) @ Rostock - Marlin
March 29, 2014 10:06AM
Okay ...

kind of fixed it.

It seems to be the microstepping.

I switched it in configuration.h and configuration_adv.h to fullstep and adjusted the steps per unit to 5.

Now everything works correctly.

I got a ramps kit (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00EDG0NK4/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which includes the A4988 stepper driver.
This stepper driver should be able to use 1/16 microstepping.

I only got the right results with fullsteps. Tried 1/8 microstepping, but didnt work.

Fullstep means Jumper 1, 2 and 3 off. If the jumpers would be damaged, it would explain why it is only possible to go by fullstep mode.

How can I meassure if the jumpers work correctly?

Or what could I do?
March 29, 2014 01:01PM
The jumpers just connect two pins together. You can check them for continuity with a multimeter, with 0 (zero) ohms resistance being correct.

I'm surprised that you received a SainSmart kit that included jumpers. The Megatronics 2.0 kit that I purchased from them did not include the stepper motor jumpers, plugs for the stepper motor wires, or instructions of any kind.....
March 29, 2014 07:38PM
I checked the connection on Ramps with my multimeter, they are all fine.
I checked the pins on the stepper driver with the multimeter(continuity tester) (bottom of the pins to the soldering on top)...all good.
I checked the connection like in the attached file (MS1 stepper Driver to MS1) ...every connection is good.

Why do they not work in 1/16 Microstepping mode but in full step mode???

please help

Lukas
April 01, 2014 06:49AM
Hi,

I know now for sure, that if I'm in 1/16 Microstepping mode (#define MICROSTEP_MODES {16,16,16,16,16} // [1,2,4,8,16]), the pins MS1 MS2 MS3 don't get the logic-voltage.
The meassured Voltage between VDD and Ground on the driver is 5V.

Is this a hardware fault on Ramps or a software fault in marlin?
I'd like to know if there is any other way exept "#define MICROSTEP_MODES {16,16,16,16,16} // [1,2,4,8,16]" to set the wrong microstepping mode?

Otherwise I'm going to solder a wire connection on the driver from vdd to MS1 MS2 MS3 to set the driver in microstepping manualy.

Please help!

Lukas
April 01, 2014 04:16PM
Okay, Problem solved.
The thing was, trhat I didn't realy know what actually a juper is.
I thought it would be just the black plastig thing where the pins come out.
So I didn't have jumpers connected to MS1 MS2 MS3.
Just bought some today and now everything works just fine.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Lukas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login